Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole and Thread Depths change when changing Hole Designation

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
624 Views, 13 Replies

Hole and Thread Depths change when changing Hole Designation

21-09-2016 09-53-39.jpg21-09-2016 09-53-58.jpg

Has anyone seen this one before…

Select a Tapped Hole with a Drill Depth and Thread Depth.

Select the Thread Type and Designation.

If the Designation is then changed the Drill Depth and Thread Depth change.

Inventor Pro 2017 R2 Build 199

Windows 7 Pro SP1

Intel i7

32GB Ram

NVIDIA Quadro 4000M

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
WHolzwarth
in reply to: Anonymous

This has changed since Inventor 2014. Now the thread.xls has included the runout standards for threaded holes.

Thread length by default is set to 2x nominal thread diameter, hole depth is thread length plus runout from thread.xls.

Your input hole depth=10 and thread length=8 has been overwritten by user's input, after changing the thread defintion it's set back to default values

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: WHolzwarth

As WH points out, it's set by the Design Data.   But how annoying, if you simply want to change a pitch size on a thread to have to go through the task of resetting value which were already correct.

Message 4 of 14
shastu
in reply to: Anonymous

I thought I tested this in 2019 and it wasn't doing it anymore which I was very grateful for, but now I am up to Service Pack 4.4 and it is doing it again.  I had a M8 x 1.25 with a 2 inch termination.  Then I changed it to a M12 x 1.75 and the hole depth termination changed to 0.750 in.  Am I correct that this changed back to the behavior before 2015 or did I just not do a good job of testing?

Message 5 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: shastu

Hi! I thought this was the way it worked starting from 2015 or 2016. The behavioral change was due to the fact that Inventor thread table did not include depth on 2015 and earlier. To comply to the standard, the depth columns were added to the thread table.

If you don't want to take the standard depth from the table, you can edit the thread table and clear out the standard depth values.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 14
shastu
in reply to: johnsonshiue

This is more than just a preference. As you can see in the screencast, I picked a hole depth of 2 and yet it still changed it to .75.
Message 7 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! Are you using the default thread.xls table or a custom one? Is the correct depth value captured from the table for the given spec? Like I mentioned, you could zero out the depth values on the thread table and you will need to manually type in the value in the property panel.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 14
shastu

See attached.
Message 9 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! Please attach the file. There was no attachment in your last reply.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 14
shastu

Sorry, I will try again.

Message 11 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! It seems to work for me with your thread table. Make sure you change the Preset to "No Preset" as opposed to Last Used.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 14
shastu

I thought I had put the screencast in this thread, but I couldn't find it so I am going to try again.  As you can see it is set to "No Preset".

Message 13 of 14
shastu

Third times a charm, maybe?

Message 14 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! Many thanks for sharing the video! It looks like a bug to me. But, I cannot seem to reproduce it on my machine. Are you using a custom thread table or the one shipped with Inventor?

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report