Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiding Surface Bodies in Drawing views by default?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
PaulMunford
2177 Views, 6 Replies

Hiding Surface Bodies in Drawing views by default?

Hi Team,

I can see that there are posts that touch on this subject, but I haven't seen anything conclusive - so please tell me if I've missed something.

@johnsonshiue perhaps you could confirm?

The behaviour of surfaces in views changed in inventor 2013:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

If a surface is visible in the model - it WILL be included in drawing views.

Is there any way to set the default behaviour so that surface will NOT be seen in drawing views?

Thanks very much.

Paul Munford

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: PaulMunford

Hi Paul,

Yes, on 2018 there is an additional filter added to View Create/Edit dialog (the last tab). There are two new checkboxes. One is for surface bodies and the other one is for mesh geometry. Both are unchecked by default. The controls in this dialog usually follow last used paradigm. You can create a view with the option checked. It will persist until you change it again.

The options were added to the dialog to support mesh drawing workflow. The filters have higher priority than design views. Even if a given surface body or mesh geometry is visible in the design view, it will not appear in the drawing view if the boxes are unchecked. Like I mentioned earlier, they should follow last used option.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
PaulMunford
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks for the prompt reply Johnson...

Unfortunately my customer is sing Inventor 2016 - is there anything we can do to help them?

Paul

Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: PaulMunford

Hi Paul,

Then I misunderstood the issue. In 2017 and earlier, surface visibility in drawing should obey design view. Is it not the case? I may need to see an example.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
PaulMunford
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

Just to follow up. Our customer had some users who had a problem with surfaces showing up in drawings, and some who didn't. Our customer sent us a copy of their application options files from each machine and we compared them.

Between us, we were able to diagnose that it was the 'Auto consume work features and surface features' that was set inconsistently, causing surface features to show up in drawings on some machines.

Phew!

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 7

Hi Paul,

We have been experiencing this same issue and I have noted we also have the 'Auto consume work features and surface features' turned on. Did turning this off make the change to currently produced drawings or did they require being re-produced or did it go further and the models require option changes etc?

Thanks

Message 7 of 7

Hi! This new option set was added in 2018 to support mesh drawing views. It should not affect any existing drawings. By default, the two options are unchecked, meaning any new drawing view referencing a part or an assembly with surface or mesh body, such body will not be included in the drawing by default. However, if you check the two boxes, the next view created (same source doc type), the options will remain checked as last used.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report