Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with modeling a toy car in Inventor 2015

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
809 Views, 3 Replies

Help with modeling a toy car in Inventor 2015

I am currently in an IED (Introduction to engineering design) class in high school, and there is a reverse engineering unit in which we choose something to then model in Autodesk Inventor 2015 (among other things.  My partner chose a toy car (against my protests), and I am finding it difficult to model the toy car.  If you would like something more specific, the car is a Maisto 1/18th scale model of a 2016 GT Mustang.  Should I pursue trying to teach myself surface modeling?  This seems like the best option for creating the model, but then this is due on 6/9/16 (9th day of June this year for any non-Americans on this forum).  Sorry if this type of request isn't allowed.  Also, the parts must be assembled, and dimensioned, and one of them needs to be 3D printed and fit into the physical toy car that we disassembled, and I don't know if a surface model would for some reason not convert well to an STL file if I pursue that option.  Otherwise, do you have any suggestions for solid modeling?  So far, I can create many of the shapes in a basic form, but they don't quite match the actual toy car because creating the curves in the toy car is giving me difficulty.  I should give what I have tried, but its only been a combination of attempting to cut the various surface out and shape a rectangular prism that I started with using cutting extrusions.  Thank you.

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mflayler
in reply to: Anonymous

It is HIGHLY unlikey that you would be able to model a ford mustang in that scale in the time alloted for your assignment.

You should sign up for this website though as there are some easy downloads that can get you to a point you can work with the data for your project.

https://grabcad.com/library?page=1&time=all_time&sort=recent&query=ford%20mustang

I wouldn't just take a workable model from here and call it done though.  You may have to still model the simplified undercarriage of the toy car.  If the instructer says you HAVE to model it from scratch, then choose another project.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: mflayler

I guess I'm stuck. I can ask to change objects, but I doubt it will work
out well because I would have to disassemble the new item and draw
isometric sketches of the parts again. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

You instructor should not have allowed you to take on such a complex project.

My students have more than a year of experience with inventor before doing anything this complex.

Download the attached starter file Car Body r11.ipt  and the pdf tutorial attached and show it to your instructor.

I am sure it will be approved as a project.

If not, ask your instructor to join this discussion.

Ask questions if you run into trouble.

EOP stands for the red End of Part marker in the browser.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report