Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with 3D Printing w/ model made in Inventor

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
868 Views, 12 Replies

Help with 3D Printing w/ model made in Inventor

Hi All, 

I've been recently trying to 3D Print a light design for a school project, however the Printer (Witbox 2) isn't printing the models.

I was wondering if it was something that I have done wrong with the file? I have attached the original inventor file as the model needs to be scaled for a WitBox 2 (Print volume: (X) 297 x (Y) x 210 (Z) 200 mm) 

Thanks for the help! 

-Cameron

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you attach your *.stl files here?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Hi, here are the .STL files I tried using. 

Thanks,

Cameron.

Message 4 of 13
TheCADWhisperer

Does your 3D Print slicer allow you to change Units?

Does your 3D Print slicer allow you to Scale?

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Hi, 

I'm using Cura as a slicer. When I imported the .STL Files, they appeared really small so I had to re-scale. Even once the file was sliced, it didn't work. 

Message 6 of 13
mcgyvr

What do you mean it isn't printing the files?

Please be specific about the problems so we don't assume/guess..

Here is the basics of how to model something in Inventor then print it using cura..

1-Model the part in Inventor in whatever units you want.. 

2-Model it so that it will fit in your printer

3-When done with the 3d modeling you need to save as an stl file

4-Go to file..save copy as (not save as) and then change the file extension to stl and press the options button and select "millimeters" for the units

5- press save

6-Open in cura and orientate as needed..

7-save to SD or export directly to printer to start the print.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi, 

I never saved copy as - I'll give that a go and modify the units. Thanks for the heads up!

Also, the issue with it not printing is that the nozzle would "ghost" over the areas where it should be printing, but no filament would come out. Other files do work, but for some reason mine doesn't. Thanks!

Message 8 of 13
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, 

I never saved copy as - I'll give that a go and modify the units. Thanks for the heads up!

Also, the issue with it not printing is that the nozzle would "ghost" over the areas where it should be printing, but no filament would come out. Other files do work, but for some reason mine doesn't. Thanks!

There are really multiple ways to get an STL file from Inventor.. save copy as is just the way I prefer.. 

As to this "ghosting".. Is that something that you see in Cura? It allows you to see layer by layer,etc... If its ghosting due to the model you would see that visible there in Cura..

Or it could be a under-extrusion problem with your printer due to poor feeder tension/improper temperature settings,etc...

I would need to see pictures or something to really tell whats going on there.. Its unlikely to be an Inventor problem though.

I really didn't see anything wrong with your model (that would cause it to not print anyways..)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 9 of 13
Frederick_Law

Your Top Lid has lots of overhangs.

Your STL is wrong scale.  Export it as mm should work in Cura.

Your Design Base is 400mm tall.

Message 10 of 13
kelly.young

Hello @Anonymous if you are in Cura and select Layer View you should see all the layers in red and yellow with support in blue (what it looks like on mine). 

There is a little play button that should show you a preview of how the extruder travel path will go.

If this all looks good and the print starts but no filament comes out, I would say it's the extruder being blocked.

If you stop the print and start a new file does it then start to print correctly? If so that's odd.

There could be something in the gcode that is not telling the printer to feed more filament, but without changing the settings I'm not sure how you'd accomplish that without actively trying to do so.

I've scaled .stl files up and down using Cura before with no problems slicing so not sure what's going on. 

If it's block might have to take the feeder tube out and put a poker down through it while hot to force the blocked filament through, not fun. 

Hope that helps!

EDIT:

I opened the .stl files in Cura and the details wouldn't show up, were too small to slice, haven't investigated your .ipt to see what your actual desired size is yet. Scaled up to 300 and it sliced normally on this end. 

Sliced.png

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

Hi, 

Thanks so much for the response. 

When I mean that the Filament is not adhering to the bed/filament is thin, I've attached an image as to what happened the last time I tried to print it. As you can see, the filament is web-like and not building up in layers. This isn't a printing issue, as other files are easily printing, which makes me think I'm slicing the file wrong. 

For now, I'm going to try and re-slice the model - I can't get it printed until at least next Monday however. 

Thanks again for the support!

Message 12 of 13
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, 

Thanks so much for the response. 

When I mean that the Filament is not adhering to the bed/filament is thin, I've attached an image as to what happened the last time I tried to print it. As you can see, the filament is web-like and not building up in layers. This isn't a printing issue, as other files are easily printing, which makes me think I'm slicing the file wrong. 

Yep.. try again.. Seems you screwed something up in Cura.. 

Not much we can do here.. 

Message 13 of 13
hosford

I believe Cura will not print geometry smaller than the nozzle, could this be an issue with your stl files? 

Thaddeus Hosford
NUC9i9QNX i9-9980HK, Win 10 Pro 64
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report