Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help wanted for assembly constraint

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
417 Views, 3 Replies

Help wanted for assembly constraint

The  6mm peg should follow the 6mm helical slot to impart axial movement to the inner cylinder....I cannot  select the right constraint?

This should be similar to nut and bolt!.

Windows 7    Inventor 2014

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

There are several different solutions (I will try to post examples as time permits).

The first solution involves Contact Sets (drag slowly - if you go to fast the computer can't keep up).

(I noticed that your sketches were not constrained - so I modeled the parts from scratch.)

Axial Shifter.zip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! There are a few ways to handle this type of case. I personally prefer using Transitional constraint. Please take a look at attached file. The main problem here is that the actual intersection between the pin and the slot should only be a straight line. Any face-based constraint could have problems handling the situation.

Instead of using the solid faces, I created a small sphere at the bottom of the pin and also I created zero-offset surface on top of the slot. By doing so, the motion becomes fairly simple: just a sphere moving on a face.

There is some design issue on the slot. The intersection between the extrusion cut and the coil cut is not smooth. It could be a problem in real world. I added a fillet to smooth it out.

Please take a look and let me know if you have any question.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you...the sphere was used and works.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report