Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help required changing drawing to model

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
329 Views, 6 Replies

Help required changing drawing to model

Hello,

Please could someone advice me on the best way to turn this drawing into a model, it is not as simple as revolving it as it is quite a complex shape, if i could use the sweep function to do it how would i do this.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
Siren-1.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Looks like a combination of Revolve and Lofted features.

Can you Attach the *.ipt file of your attempt here?

Quick example.

Elbow.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
kelly.young

Hello @Anonymous I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

If you can attach your attempt for community members to comment on that would be helpful. 

The geometry in the image doesn't appear to be uniform, is this an existing cast piece you are trying to replicate or something new? Having uniform wall thickness would make design and manufacturing easier.

elbow.png

See attached 2019 for an example.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Hi, Thank you for your reply.

I have attached the ipt. in this reply.

Hope you can help futher with this. 

Thanks.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your reply.

I have attached the ipt.

This piece is not uniform and does not have the same wall thickness as it it a copy of a drawing of a siren, and needs to be this shape to get the correct sound. 

my plan is it model it so that i can 3D print one and then get it cast.

Hope you can help further with this. 

Thanks, Callum

Message 6 of 7
kelly.young

@Anonymous thanks for attaching your part. The first thing you'll want to make sure your sketches are Fully Constrained. You can see in the bottom right hand corner how many dimensions are needed. 

Also, I wouldn't recommend ever using .000 dimensions. Coincident and Collinear constraints will work much better.

Use the Horizontal/Vertical or Equal if you know the lines are the same dimension.

Horizontal.png

Here is a screencast showing an easy way to generate your shape:

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

Thanks @kelly.young !

Thats great, I have been able to complete it now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report