Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed for advanced homework.

108 REPLIES 108
Message 1 of 109
Anonymous
5990 Views, 108 Replies

Help needed for advanced homework.

Hi.

I just got this paper handed out that's due this friday. I like to start early on these things, and although I feel like I don't have too much time for this particular assignment, I couldn't have started any sooner.

I'm not looking for someone to do this assigment for me, I'm just looking for some helpful tips, and a walkthrough would be perfect but I doubt anyone has got the time for that. 

The problem for me is that I haven't used inventor before. We started using it on school two weeks ago and I've done all the exercises, but this seems beyond me. Any help as to where I should start, how I should do it etc would be immencely appreciated.

Right now I've done part 6 just to get started, and I'm starting on part 6. I'm unsure as to where to begin..

Any help and discussion appreciated!

Edit: I'm using Autodesk Inventor 2013 professional.

Edit 2: If there's a problem with the language, I'll be happy to translate whatever you need to understand it instantly. I just figured the images and measurements should be enough, but I clearly understand if anyone has any questions about the other text. I'll obviously answer any other questions as well related to this.

Edit 3: Any feedback is appreciated. If there's something wrong about this post, the info I'm giving etc. 

108 REPLIES 108
Message 2 of 109
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Right now I've done part 6 just to get started, and I'm starting on part 6. I'm unsure as to where to begin..

Attach the ipt file here of what you have attempted so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 109
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I think this is what you're looking for. It's just the handle at the moment. For the part one (not sure what I should call that), all I have is a 2d sketch of a circle that's 20mm in diameter for the hole. I don't know if that's the right dimention and I don't know where to go from there.

I can assure you that any help I get, I will appreciate a lot, and I will work hard to understand and implement all of your suggestions. This is pretty frustrating for me as a student to get as an assignment as I feel like I have no clue as to what I'm doing or should be doing and no one at campus can help me.

I'll be gone for a couple of hours now I'm afraid, but I'll check this post first thing when I get back and hopefully I can work with my assignment for a solid hour or two then.

Thank you for replying, I now feel like I've got humanly contact with someone that's able to help me learn about using inventor. I honestly do appreciate it a lot.

Message 4 of 109
JDMather

You should have revolved around the other line - the y-axis to keep the y axis in the center of the part.

This part took about 10 minutes (or less).

Screw.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 109
CCarreiras

Hi!

OK, maybe isn't the better process, but you did it !!

I think you will be able to design almost all the parts with a little help.

Now, What's the part you want design?

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 6 of 109
JDMather

Another 10 minutes.

Yolk.PNG

Message 7 of 109
Anonymous

Wow, that's just amazing! The handle part took me about 45 minutes because I was having trouble figuring out the revolve function. With extrude, you just click the profile, but I had some issues figuring out I had to revolve it 'around' something - the axis. Thanks for the input on the axis as well!

The part I want to do next, after the handle, is the part 6, the 'krokfeste (1:1)'. The reason for this is because it's the part the looks the most intimitading to me, and if I mange to do that, I will get the feeling that this assigment really isn't that hard anymore. If you guys have any other suggestions, I'm of course willing to listen to them. Otherwise I'd be stupid.

For the part 6, I have a few questions. My aim is to start off with a circle/hole in the middle, then figuring out how to do the edges, then the three holes in each 'branch'. I figure the hole must me 20mm in diameter, but I'm not sure. Also, the TR24,5x5 I figure is some sort of a gange/thread (not sure what the technical word is for this). Where/how do I find it? We haven't learned that yet, and that really frustrates me, but oh well. I've got you guys 🙂

I'll be off for a couple of hours now, like I said before. I'll get right onto this first thing when I get back though, it's actually getting exciting and fun now! You're the best.

Again, you have no idea how grateful I am that you're taking your time to help me out. Hopefully the end result will be pleasing for everyone involved 🙂

Message 8 of 109
JDMather

....a few more minutes.

Finger.PNG

Message 9 of 109
JDMather

3 or 4 more minutes

Pin.PNG

Message 10 of 109
Anonymous

Just on my phone now, but if you possibly could write a couple of lines with each picture, just how you managed to make those parts, what functions you used etc. that would be really helpful.

Although, the pictures do help me, and it shows me that you're extremely capable of answering any questions I have, it would be beneficial for me if I had something to start from.

But it's totally up to you, I'm obviously thankful for what you've done so far regardless. 

Message 11 of 109
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

.... if you possibly could write a couple of lines with each picture, just how you managed to make those parts, what functions you used etc. that would be really helpful.

I have modeled the parts to become familiar with the geometry.
As you attempt each part - attach it here just like you did the first part and I will walk you through any difficulties.

Trykksko.PNG

Message 12 of 109
JDMather

Use symmetry in your parts - this will help in editing and in assembly.

Gear Puller.png

Notice how I moved your Sketch2 Origin Center Point to the midpoint of the line of revolution.

Now the XZ plane can be used to constrain the part  in the assembly.

Message 13 of 109
Anonymous

Ok, that's completely fine. However, I'm not completely confident how I should start part 6 (realized I have a typo in the op - it's obviously part 1 I have done).

Should I start with the hole, and if yes, what's next and what dimentions should I use? I just feel like I need a start and then I'll be able to attempt to finish it myself.
Message 14 of 109
Anonymous

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by using symmetry, but I see what you did with attaching the part I made onto the rest of the parts - that it's attached at the center point. I will look at it as soon as I feel comfortable with drawing all the parts. Or maybe I should look into it first as it will help me when I'm done with each part individually?

I've sat down with part 6 for around 25 minutes now, and this is my current result. I'm not sure how I'm going to do the rest. My first thought is to make all the 3 branches like I've done with one now, then draw a straight line between them, and then use the fillet function to 'soften' the sharp edges?

Also, I don't know if you can see it, I've attached points for where I want to edit holes into the sketch later on. Is this a good way to do it? Also, I have no idea where to find these TR24x5 things. It really frustrates me that we haven't gone through this in class - it really does. But there's nothing I can do about it other than thank you guys a lot for helping me out here. I would'nt even be close to hoping I would get this done without you.

Looking forward to the next reply, and be sure to let me know if there's anything I can do different, both with posting here and in inventor. I'm here to learn, and I've learned a lot already.

Message 15 of 109
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, I don't know if you can see it, I've attached points for where I want .....

I see everything.
Do not repeat dimensions - you are doing wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much work.

Start the part over.

Click the Polygon tool and set to 3 sides.

Create a polygon centered at the origin and add a Horizontal Constraint.

Dimension as shown.

Attach your file here.

Polygon.PNG

Message 16 of 109
Anonymous

Alright, thanks for the quick reply!

I've done that now, it's pointing 90 degree left compared to yours, but I don't know why.

Message 17 of 109
Anonymous

Sorry for double post, but apparently I can't edit my above post.

I'm heading for bed now. I'm realizing I might be doing something wrong in terms of efficiency as I've now spent a good hour and a half and I'm still not done with part 6. Getting frustrated, but hopefully I can figure it out tomorrow with some hard work and great tips from you.

Thanks a lot for all the help today though, I've learned so much. I really do appreciate it.

Message 18 of 109
JDMather

Vertical.PNGIf you look at my picture - I made the horizontal line, well horizontal, by adding a Horizontal Constraint to one of the three lines of the triangle.

You did not do this.

You added a Horizontal Constraint between two points, the origin and the midpoint of the now vertical line.

Message 19 of 109
JDMather

after fixing (or starting over) your initial attempt at the triangle -

1. Create a vertical Construction Line from the Origin to the apex of the triangle.

2. Create a center point rectangle clicking on the construction line at approximate location shown and then one of the angled lines.  Dimension as shown in attached file.

Message 20 of 109
JDMather

Extrude both the triangle and the rectangle in one operation Symmetrical (mid-plane) by 25mm.

(see attached image)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report