Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Custom IDW Leader Text/Balloon

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
AlexZW28B
625 Views, 2 Replies

Help - Custom IDW Leader Text/Balloon

So, I am hoping that there is a good solution to this - I am suspect there will not be -  BUT! I am all for Surprises!

Currently using Inventor 2020.3.2, I am trying to create a drawing with some leaders and text showing the part numbers of sub-assemblies that the leaders are attached to. I have tried a few different things, mainly the use of View representations and having the BOM driven by that method gets me the closest, but it is not ideal or what I want. I have a product with an accessory(ies) that I just want to show the part number of the accessory with some added notes, but not have it included in the main BOM item list. The accessory would have a separate DWG, this is just a product level information and illustration.

I originally thought I could achieve this using a combination of Level of Details, and View representations, but am starting to think that it is another limitation of Inventor? (surprise?... nope). Other software that I have used in the past, I was able to add Text with a Leader and specify some linked text to be relative to the Component(sub-assy) attached to, or the Model(part) to which annotation is attached. It appears that in Inventor - this is only available with part level annotation. Is there a way to get the Leader text to show the Sub-Assy number that the leader is attached to? Inventor has ability to add part level information/text - but there is no way for me to have it look up higher in tree... Or even a toggle to say show p/n instead of item number? (boy, that would be helpful...). Alternatively, if they could enable sub-assembly selection by using the shift-select feature could be another option - I can only set to parts in that menu options.

The attached image shows the item 24 as the sub-assembly I am wanting - but the other text/leader is showing the part number of the part of that sub-assembly... I want it to show the 121042.

AlexZW28B_0-1611252317132.png

Thoughts or suggestions? Surely something so simple can't be so difficult...

Then again...

Labels (4)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Cris-Ideas
in reply to: AlexZW28B

Change your sub-assembly BOM structure to "purchased"

And define balloon with part number.

Open assembly->document settings->BOM structure

This way part number of the sub assembly will be pulled out on the drawing.

Leader text will probably not work, although if sub assembly set to purchased may cause that (did not check).

Cris.

Cris,
https://simply.engineering
Message 3 of 3
AlexZW28B
in reply to: AlexZW28B

So, I did try as you suggested @Cris-Ideas , and that is helpful in some instances - in conjunction with what I have found in this Inventor support. 

Add Custom Properties to Balloons | Inventor 2020 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Ideally I would like to use the shift-select functionality in that command to select either the Comonent or Part, etc...

I am still wondering if there is an easier way - other program that I have used was much simpler. It would be nice to have a way to just specify the linked text required - similar to how you can choose BOM headings, or add auto-linked text in a Text Note. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report