Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hebrew Fonts Embossing/Extruding backwards.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1628 Views, 14 Replies

Hebrew Fonts Embossing/Extruding backwards.

Hello, there, guys.

It's been a long time since the last time I wrote here asking for answers because I always could get the solution by myself.

This time it is tricky. I am working for a company that needs some Hebrew text from the Old Testament embossed to a cube that they are going to sell.

Whenever I try to emboss or extrude these texts, always is flipped to backward (not the text, the operation) finishing in an unwanted result.

I explain the idea: The text is right once I use the command text in the sketch. Once I do the operation (emboss or extrude) the text suddenly the text (operation) is backward. 

Funny, if I make visible the sketch over the operation and overlap both features, the tex is right but it is overlapped wrongly by the operation and it seems that two completely different and unrelated features.

You may see what's going on in my screen capture.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

Note: Mirroring does not solve the problem. Flip to normal the plane does not solve the problem.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
SBix26
in reply to: Anonymous

Works fine for me in Inventor 2019.2 with Arial or Tahoma-- what version of Inventor? What font are you using? Can you post the part, or a different one showing the same effect?

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.2 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2018.

Here's the file.

Message 4 of 15
SBix26

I'm unable to re-create my good results in 2019, let alone 2018.  Inventor is simply rearranging the characters in reverse order (left to right) when performing the emboss.  Looks like a bug to me.  Perhaps @Xun.Zhang or @johnsonshiue (after the holiday) can chime in?

Sam B
LinkedIn

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

It is really strange.

Also, this happens when I copy the text from the source (the chat with the client) and copy to Word document, too.

It might be something that Windows does, and it might be affecting Autodesk Inventor.

Message 6 of 15
JDMather

I am not familiar with Hebrew - is this correct?

Hebrew.PNG

You might have to Offset a workplane in front of or in back of the face where you want the text for the sketch.

You might have to Flip Normal on the workplane.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Since when I copy and paste the Hebrew text will result in a flip, I had to screen capture the text.

The one in the cube it is the start of the John 21 biblical reference. Look at the 21 and everything right after the right is the 21, but starts in the right (Hebrew it is read from Right to Left), so you are seeing the first 7 words of the John 21. It should start with a 'y' (-a-like) character, and the one you are showing is mirrored.
It is interesting this problem.

Message 8 of 15
Xun.Zhang

Hello Guys,

Thanks for bringing my attention.

It seems that something have to be special handled for Hebrew Fonts text during font connection with windows system. In the traditional form, the Hebrew alphabet is an abjad consisting only of consonants, written from right to left. It has 22 letters, five of which use different forms at the end of a word. I tried it in Notepad application and the normal operation is treated as reverse as well such as Delete/Backspace, etc. and the text themselves are written as backwards too when copying and pasted to Notepad. Trying to pasted text to Word 2016 which seems better than Notepad.

Untitled1.png

By the way, ticket INVGEN-23250 is filed to track it down.

Thanks!

Xun
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Well, I have tried installing the Hebrew alphabet and fonts on the Windows just to see how it is.

There is a change: Word now does not changes the orientation once the text is copied&pasted from the chat with the client, BUT, the problem persists in Inventor. My guess is that whatever configuration Windows changed, it didn't take place inside Inventor's configuration.

Message 10 of 15
Xun.Zhang

Per my poor understanding, Word is supported with some special handling since its nature of text editing.

But other applications such as Notepad do not add special handling here.

As what've mentioned, to support the fonts, each application should add some special handling code as well.

Hope it helps!

Xun
Message 11 of 15
SBix26

I did some more testing-- pasted your sketch text into Word (2007), then changed the typeface from Arial to David (don't know what application installed that on my computer, but there it is).  Copied this and pasted it into a new sketch on your part, and it embossed exactly as expected.  I then went back to that sketch and changed the font to Arial, and it reversed!  Changed it again to David, all is well.  Changed it to Times New Roman, reversed.  Back to David, all is well.

I don't know enough about fonts to draw any conclusions from this.  See if you can find the David font, perhaps.

Hebrew Font Embossing.png

Edit: All of the above was done in 2019.  I just tried using 2018 and changing your emboss feature (Emboss 47) to David font, and it also works.

Edit #2: (off topic) I know nothing of Hebrew, but a little searching on the web finds that this is a partial quote of John 3:20.  The search results all come from Messianic Jewish sources, which should not be a surprise, since the Gospel of John was originally in Greek, not Hebrew.

Sam B
LinkedIn

Message 12 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi Guys! The text is indeed flipped when it is consumed by Emboss. The issue is more about how Inventor converts the text to a profile. The process does not seem to work well with right-to-left text. I tried Extrude and the same behavior as Emboss happened.

I think this is a limitation or a bug possibly. I need to work with the project team to understand this issue better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Hello, SBix.

@SBix26 wrote:

I did some more testing-- pasted your sketch text into Word (2007), then changed the typeface from Arial to David (don't know what application installed that on my computer, but there it is).  Copied this and pasted it into a new sketch on your part, and it embossed exactly as expected.  I then went back to that sketch and changed the font to Arial, and it reversed!  Changed it again to David, all is well.  Changed it to Times New Roman, reversed.  Back to David, all is well.

I don't know enough about fonts to draw any conclusions from this.  See if you can find the David font, perhaps.

Hebrew Font Embossing.png

Edit: All of the above was done in 2019.  I just tried using 2018 and changing your emboss feature (Emboss 47) to David font, and it also works.

I have tried with the David font, but the result it is the same I was having at the beginning. Probably there is something in (your) Windows that forces Autodesk Inventor to behave normally once you copy from Word to Inventor.

I should try with other fonts, however, to know what exactly font will do the work will be an odyssey.

Edit #2: (off topic) I know nothing of Hebrew, but a little searching on the web finds that this is a partial quote of John 3:20.  The search results all come from Messianic Jewish sources, which should not be a surprise, since the Gospel of John was originally in Greek, not Hebrew.

Sam B
LinkedIn

Yeah, I have explained briefly that these texts are from biblical quotes, all from John. The whole texts are John 16:21.

Thank you!

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Well, what I could notice is that Autodesk Inventor is not supporting properly Right-To-Left text, like Hebrew and or Arabic.

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

I have tried with AutoCAD txtexp command (using the text) and it also modifies the text (I am not sure if it is flipping it, because I see it like a completely different text). Weird.

What I am thinking it is to try with Word, print a PDF document and from there retrieve the fonts using Inkscape Bit TraceMap and export the vectorized letters to a DXF file this (if they are in order) will allow me to work this out as a workaround by extruding the closed profiles.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report