Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

having trouble with solid body in inventor

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
christianJTJLC
277 Views, 4 Replies

having trouble with solid body in inventor

hi guys, im new to the forum, so hello to everyone.

im hoping someone can help me out with this little problem im having in inventor 2017.

i spent quite a lot of time designing a part, and the machinist required the drawing as an xt file. so i saved a copy in xt format. the problem is that now my ipt part doesnt have any features, its just a solid body, and i would like to edit a certain aspect of it.

is there any way i canexpand all my workflow back into the ipt part?

sorry if this sounds a little dumb, im kinda new to inventor.

Thanks in advance

christian

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi christianJTJLC,

If you create a part in Inventor and save it as an *.ipt file first, and then export it as an *.x_t file, then the *x_t file will be a "dumb" solid, but you can open your original *.ipt file and edit the feature and sketches still.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 5

Hi Christian,

Welcome to Inventor family! There is no dumb question here. Occasionally you might see dumb answers, particularly from me. If you are a subscriber, you can sign into subscription account and download Feature Recognition tool. It helps converting imported body to some features.

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=9172877436288348979&appLang=en&os=Win32_64

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 5

Thanks guys, i think what i did wrong was that i saved copy as xt, instead of exporting an xt, so my original ipt became "dumb".

but i sorted it out pretty quickly. i had saved a 2d dwg earlier, so i could redraw the part pretty quickly from that.

cheers!

Message 5 of 5

@christianJTJLC wrote:

Thanks guys, i think what i did wrong was that i saved copy as xt, ...

Nothing wrong with that workflow, that is what I would have done as well, but you also need to save the *.ipt file.

Saving one has no effect on the other.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report