Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble draggin a part into a subassembly

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mdambrosio
195 Views, 3 Replies

Having trouble draggin a part into a subassembly

We just moved from 2015 to 2018, and mostly everything seems to be working as I'm used to.

However, I'm having an issue while I am in an assembly. I have several subassemblies within the main assembly, and I want to drag an individual part into one of the subassemblies. All items are collapsed. When I try to drag the part into the subassembly, I hover over the subassembly name in the tree, but it does not automatically expand so I can drop the part into it. All it is allowing me to do is move the part in tree.

This used to work in 2015. I noticed that the (+) sign has been replaced by an (>). In 2015 I would hover over the (+) sign and the subassembly would expand.

I can drag and drop the part into the subassembly only if it is expanded. Sometimes this is a pain, because the amount of components in the subs can get fairly large. Them I'm left with searching for the part I want to move and dragging it up through an enormous list of parts. Having the tree collapsed makes it neater and more manageable.

Is there a setting somewhere to turn this function back on?

Thanks.

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2018

Windows 10 Pro

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mdambrosio

Hi! The workflow you are attempting is called Component Demote workflow. There is no change in terms of how it works. You will need to expand the subassembly node and then drag and drop the part to the subassembly right below the Origin folder.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: mdambrosio

Just a bit clarification here about the words -

This used to work in 2015. I noticed that the (+) sign has been replaced by an (>). In 2015 I would hover over the (+) sign and the subassembly would expand.

(+) and (>) are exactly the same, no functional change at all.

Thanks!

Xun
Message 4 of 4
mdambrosio
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

It did change somewhat. I used to be able to drag a part from the tree into a collapsed subassembly. I would hover my pointer over the (+) sign while performing the drag and the subassembly would then expand allowing me to drop the part into the now expanded subassembly. Now I need to have the subassembly expanded prior to performing the drag and drop.

It is not that great of an issue at all, just not how it acted in 2015. I wasn't sure if there was a setting or not.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report