Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half section view - part placement

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
1357 Views, 17 Replies

Half section view - part placement

Hi guys,

I think it is a bit dumb, but maybe I have a wrong setting somewhere, but if I have an assembly with an half section view shown and then place a part, it always places the part on the half that is hidden, so you can't see the part you have placed, but need to show the whole assembly, then move the part to somewhere you will be able to see it, then do the half section view again. (or create a view rep, but that is a bit dumb for a one off).  Is it too hard to place it so you can see the part you have placed? Even if the part was also sectioned it would be ok.

Just a gripe. Anyone else noticed this?

Regards,

Ozitag.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Please place the part and then move it to area or plane where there is no section. You can view your part completely.

Hope I understood your problem.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

The trouble is when you place the part, more often than not, it is placed in the hidden side of the section so you can't see the placed part. You have to select "End section View", move the part to when you will be able to see it, perform the section view again, and then contrain your part. It's just a nuisance.

Ozitag

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

You have an another option. In the same sectioned view, before placing the part, drag it to the place where there is no section. Then again you can continue constraining.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

I don't really understand what you mean because if you can't see the part, how can you drag it?

Ozitag.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous

Oh I see, you're talking about a sectioned view in a drawing. I'm talking about a section view in an assembly. See the attached pic for the command.

Ozitag.

Message 7 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi! This is an interesting workflow. In an ipt file, there is a document setting controling whether or not the part participate in assembly section and drawing section. Open an ipt file -> Tools -> Document Settings -> Modeling -> uncheck "Participate in Assembly and Drawing Sections."

Please keep in mind this option will affect the default sectioning behavior of the particular part in Drawing also. If the option is off and you need it to participate in Drawing section, you can go to Drawing browser and right-click on the component of interest -> Section to control section participation there.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous

They don't get it do they. That bugs me also.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

Hi Guys,

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about.There is no way I'm going to edit a files properties just to place it, and it defeats the purpose of the section anyway.

If you know of a free screen capture program where I can take a quick little film, I'll up load it and show you what the trouble is.

You obviously understand what I'm talking about Doug_DuPont as it bugs you as well.  Is there a better way of explaining it?

Ozitag.

Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

Ozitag,

I got your problem. I actually meant, when you are placing a part, it gets placed in a place where you click on the screen. During that process, the part is totally free and you can move it anywhere. At this time, you can drag the part and place it in the area where there is no section.

I have attached screen shots of the same. Please see attached files.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

How do you grab the part if you can't see it. I can't select anything that is not visible, and clicking on the part in the browser tree highlights it in the window, but you can't grab it. I tried placing the part and dragging it while holding the LMB down, but that didn't work either as you don't know when it is visible.  It only displays visible or not when it has been placed. Maybe they have changed it in later versions, I'm using 2010.

It sounds like your on the right track, I'm just got to work out what your doing.

Thanks again,

Ozitag

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

Okies,

If you have already placed the part and then then trying  to change its position, you cant drag it as the part will not be visible.

In this case, highlight the part in the browser and use "Move Command" in the assembly panel. You can drag the part to any location provided if its a free object.

Regards

Rajiv

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

Ok, now I see what your doing. Good idea, but I still think it is a little dumb that it places the part in the invisible side. Why not just place it on the visible side always, or, when you place it, make it visible no matter where it is until you constrain it the first time.  What do you think of that?

Ozitag

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

Yeah thats a nice idea but unfortunately that is not available presently. probablly in the later version, people can take a call on this.

But at the present, my idea is working fine for us. Isnt it Ozitag???

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

Yes it works. But even then it could be better. When you click on the part in the browser tree, as soon as you click on the move command you can't see where the part was and if you don't click on the part, the command disappears. I think it is just a painful work around for something that should be simple, but yes it does work.

Ozitag.

Message 16 of 18
SBix26

I'm guessing from your description that you don't have a 3D controller (spaceball, 3D mouse, etc)?  I very rarely run into this problem, but what I do is just roll the model around so I'm looking along the section plane, then place the part in the visible half of the screen.  Even without a 3D controller, you can use the view cube to quickly rotate the view so it's obvious where the new component will be visible when placed.  Or am I misunderstanding?

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Sam,

U have understood rite. Your solution is just similar to the one which we concluded just put in other words.

Regards

Rajiv

Message 18 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

That would work also. Hadn't really thought of that, which is a little slow of me.Smiley Tongue

Worst part is you have to remember to do it, otherwise the parts are placed in the wrong side and you think, now has that placed it or not, so you click once again to make sure, then you remember and rotate the model, place the part, delete the two that you don't want, rotate the model back to where you were and constrain the part. As I said, it would work, but is just more clicking and rotating than necessary. Still think it could be better.

Ozitag.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report