Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group components under one item number

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
j.pavlicek
260 Views, 2 Replies

Group components under one item number

Hello,

is somehow possible to group components in an assembly to group, so every part in this group has same number? I can't use Demote, because these components aren't constrained to each other but to part in main assembly.

For example. There is shaft with grooves. In these grooves are rings attached. These rings must be in separate BOM, but their position is given by groove position on the shaft. When I use demote, they loose link to the shaft and when groove position is changed rings doesn't copy.

Only workaround what I can imagine is to create assembly with rings on shaft, where shaft is only refference component and then place this assembly to parent assembly (where the shaft is as regular part) and switch off refference shaft visibility. I don't like this solution and hope for something more elegant.

See images:

Shaft changed - rigns copy position groove positionsShaft changed - rigns copy position groove positions

Original shaft, ring placed separately (each has unique item number)Original shaft, ring placed separately (each has unique item number)

Rings nested in an assembly (all rings has same item number)Rings nested in an assembly (all rings has same item number)

Shaft changed (rings stay in same position as they were nested)Shaft changed (rings stay in same position as they were nested)

Inventor 2022, Windows 10 Pro
Sorry for bad English.
Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: j.pavlicek

If all 3 rings are a subassembly or purchased "kit" then you put all 3 into their own subassembly (don't constrain them at all in the subassembly if you don't need too).

In the upper assembly you right click on the ring kit subassembly and select "flexible".. Then you constrain each ring to the shaft as needed..

If the shaft changes the rings update their position correctly..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 3
j.pavlicek
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Inventor 2022, Windows 10 Pro
Sorry for bad English.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report