Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU for hobbyists

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
lgswensawing
1038 Views, 5 Replies

GPU for hobbyists

Hi all!
I'm new to building computers and just finished by first build. I still need a graphics card for it though. I am not a gamer, but I do a lot of CAD. I use Solidworks at work and school but I cannot afford a Solidworks licence for home use. And I learned CAD on Autodesk producs and love Inventor and Fusion 360. Both of these programs use DirectX instead of OpenGL. I'm trying to figure out what GPU to get. The most current information I can find is an article from 2013.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-workstation-graphics-card,3493-7.html
I have a budget around $150 USD max. I'm confused at how to tell which card will give me the best bag for my buck. Autodesk only officially certifies FirePro and Quadro cards. But from the benchmarks from 2013 it appears that workstation cards are not necessarily the best way to go considering the higher cost.
Does anyone have any experience ruining CAD that uses DirectX on workstation cards verses gaming cards? Or maybe some recent benchmarks with Inventor or Fusion 360?
Thanks

My current setup:
Asus z170-a
Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz
Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
Corsair CX 450M PSU
Corsair Force 240G SSD
be quiet! PURE ROCK CPU Cooler
Intel 7260HMWDTX1 Dual Band Wireless-AC

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rhasell
in reply to: lgswensawing

Hi

Get the biggest and best gaming card for the $150.

I am biased by saying get a Nvidia GeForce card because I have never owned an ATI.

I have no idea of the prices as I am in AUS and everything here is expensive.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 3 of 6
M15A

I used to run Inventor on GTX560 but its like five years ago, and it was 30day trial version of Inventor 2010 i think. It ran quite good. 

Is there a way to get Inventor for hobby use? like for affordable price? Because where iam from single licence costs almost four times my monthly sallary wich is not affordable at all.

Message 4 of 6
Tigerpirro

Short answer, go for a GTX 1060. Best value you can find right now. 

Or buy second hand from someone dumping their old Titan cards, or thereabouts.

Have a nice day.

Message 5 of 6
Tigerpirro
in reply to: M15A
Message 6 of 6
swalton
in reply to: M15A

Inventor is not really priced for hobbyist use.  Students can get a free 3 year license.  See http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/inventor-professional

Another option is Fusion 360.  I have not used it, but it can be free for students, hobbyists and startups.  See: http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/try-buy

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report