Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Assembly Revision (Children) from Vault

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jinglisVMSZQ
1047 Views, 7 Replies

Get Assembly Revision (Children) from Vault

Hello. I have a problem. Not sure if this happens with everyone, if I am doing something wrong, or if it is just something you have to deal with, I figured this would be a good place to ask. 

Whenever I need to revert back to an old revision of an assembly, even if I check get children in vault, it will only get me the revision I asked for for the upper level assembly (the assembly I got from vault), and vault will automatically fetch the newest version of all other sub assemblies and part files. This causes me to manually go back and get the old versions of lower level assemblies and part files. This is not a big issue when dealing with a few parts, or if only small things have changed, which is why I have just been dealing with it. But now I am working with a large assembly that had lots of changes made. Is this my only option for getting an old revision? or am I doing something wrong?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Cadmanto
in reply to: jinglisVMSZQ

What version of Vault are you using?  Basic, Workgroup or Pro?

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2020

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 8
jinglisVMSZQ
in reply to: Cadmanto

Inventor 2019 and Vault Professional 2019

Message 4 of 8
Cadmanto

Take a look at this thread and see how much of it applies to your situation.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-forum/get-old-assembly-version-including-dependants/td-p/790328...

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2020

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 8
jinglisVMSZQ

Not very applicable. I should clarify, we dont use revisions in lour company, if we want to go and get an old version, we scroll through the history tab.

Message 6 of 8
Cadmanto

With all due respect, why the heck not????  Why do you even have Pro if you are not at the very least using revisions?

I thought you were using the revisions???  That is what your thread title says and all you have talked about is retrieving older revisions.

I have never used Vault Pro, but I have used Workgroup and if my memory serves me right, I never had an issue calling up previous revisions of assemblies.  I think this issue you are having would be a non issue if you were using the revisions and had them setup correctly.  What it sounds like you are doing is using Pro as if it were the Basic version of Vault.  If that is the case, save your company some money and just use Basic.  It is free with Inventor Pro.

Back to your original question, truthfully, I do not know of a way other then creating a directory specifically for this older version and checkout out each changed part into this directory and reassembling the old version assembly.

Best I can offer given your circumstance.  Best of luck to you.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2020

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 8
jinglisVMSZQ

Honestly I'm not sure why we havent been using revisions. Probably because we just recently upgraded from vault basic when we got inventor 2019 this year. I will look into this, as I imagine it will solve my problem. Sorry, I'm still pretty new to inventor in general (I come from a SW background) Thats why I was getting revisions mixed up with history, because I did not know there was actual revisions in inventor.

Message 8 of 8
Cadmanto

Understood.  I came from a Solidworks/PDM background myself.  If you used the PDM, then you knew that the revisions when you checked out would drive the current revision on the drawing.  The same holds true in Inventor/Vault Work group and Pro.  Look into it.  You should setup your templates so that once you check out the file, the new rev from Vault will drive the new revision on the drawing.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2020

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report