Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garage Roll Up Door

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
holden_marshall
526 Views, 10 Replies

Garage Roll Up Door

I am struggling to figure out how to show a garage door rolling up and unrolling around a tube in Inventor. Attached is what I need my assembly to do.(616) Roller Shutters rigged animated free 3D model - YouTube. If someone could help me put the righ...

Thanks,

Labels (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi! I think there are two ways. One is using Transitional constraint but the movement could be unstable. Or, you may try using Dynamic Simulation to have the roller sketch followed the rail path (2D Contact).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 11

@johnsonshiue How would I get it to wrap around the tube if the rail doesn't go to the tube? There is a 5" gap between the top of the post and the tube, which then wraps around it.

Message 4 of 11

Hi! You could create surface bodies in the parts. So that the Transitional constraint is between the surfaces. The parts simply move along. Please feel free to share the files here. The forum experts and I can help take a further look.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 11

Screenshot 2023-11-01 143324.png

@johnsonshiue Is there any video you could point me to that would allow these pieces to follow a spiral path around the tube. This would truly make design this easier especially for changes to not affect constraints. 

Message 6 of 11

Hi! Then this motion cannot be emulated in Inventor. Certainly, transitional constraints will not work in this case. I am not 100% sure if Dynamic Simulation can do it either.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Using surface bodies is a good suggestion, IMO. Some of the more intricate stuff I've done that way.
Message 8 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: holden_marshall

Environments tab > Dynamic Simulation 

@holden_marshall 

Can you Attach your assembly here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 11
holden_marshall
in reply to: JDMather

@JDMather can I privately message you with the assembly so it's not posted on the community page? I don't want to break my company policy.  

Message 10 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: holden_marshall

No.

I only communicate in an open forum.

You should be able to create a dummy assembly that exhibits the same behavior as your proprietary assembly.

The phrasing of my question, "Can you Attach your assembly here?", is first of all do you understand what an assembly is?  (Must include parts.  If I recall correctly you have started this discussion several times and in a prior discussion thread posted an assembly file without any part files.)

Edit: I should point out that achieving the motion that you want is not a beginner endeavor.

It probably takes a couple of years to master Dynamic Simulation.

I would suggest that you purchase the Wasim Younis book and then I have some tutorials for practice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

That motion may potentially be very difficult. Any of the stuff that hasn't got any readily available tutorials falls into that category IMO. That is to say, effectiveness is key, never mind efficiency. With that, I can see a motion that entails files/ part coordinate system flipping over the 180-degree mark. This is a strong indicator that the movement is going to be hampered by different solutions. I have actually overcome this problem by coding the movement in 1-degree steps, with handmade charts. That eliminates the assembly constraints. This garage door is very, very difficult in Inventor, and I applaud the Blender people for creating the movement. Meshes yes, nurbs, very difficult.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report