Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeform stitch won't make solid

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
michelQAZK7
115 Views, 4 Replies

Freeform stitch won't make solid

Apologies in advance for very amateur Inventor skills, I'm self taught.

I've created a three pronged structure which I want to 3D print. However, every time I import my stl file into my printing software, one of the three prongs does not show up as a solid. I've created the prongs in Inventor by making two 2D sketches and connecting them via freeform faces. I created freeforms and used stitch to turn them into solids. This worked fine for two of the three, but the third is apparently different and I don't understand why. The prong with the difficulties is Form 14 in the IPT file, as least as far as I can tell.

If anyone can tell me how to fix this, or give me hints for a better construction workflow, I would be very grateful.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blandb
in reply to: michelQAZK7

Try the attached parts (2024). You don't need to free form. You can do everything with normal modeling tools such as extrudes, lofts, revolves, whatever makes sense to you. Attached are a couple different ways you could approach the same part.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 5
michelQAZK7

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I only have access to Inventor 2022 (should have mentioned before, sorry).

My first thought was to use an extrusion, but I couldn't figure out how to make the extrusion move at an angle and not straight up or down. Is there a trick for that?

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 5
michelQAZK7
in reply to: blandb

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I only have access to Inventor 2022 (should have mentioned before, sorry).
My first thought was to use an extrusion, but I couldn't figure out how to make the extrusion move at an angle and not straight up or down. Is there a trick for that?
Thanks again!
Message 5 of 5
blandb

Please see the attached video as a couple different examples.

Autodesk Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report