Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeform shape turns back to smooth mode after clicking "Finish Freeform"

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1162 Views, 2 Replies

Freeform shape turns back to smooth mode after clicking "Finish Freeform"

I am trying to create a cuboid with the freeform shape tool in an empty document (part). After selecting "box" I leave everything on default, select a plane and the center point and click "ok". I would like to have a box with sharp edges instead of the default smooth edges, so I click "toggle smooth". The change takes effect in the freeform editor, however when I click "finish freeform" the edges go back to smooth without any error message displayed. If I edit the shape, "toggle smooth" is turned off and the edges are smooth as well. I can turn it back on, but hte same process repeats.
I have no idea what is causing the problem, but it is really annoying. I know I could get around this issue by making a rectangular sketch and extruding it, but this is either a mayor bug or I am doing something completly wrong.

I am using inventor 2020 with student license. (DxDiag file included).

schreenshot2.PNGschreenshot1.PNG
Thank you for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: Anonymous

If you want to stay an edge sharp (avoid smoothing), you must use the Crease Edges command.

crease edges.png

If my reply solves your problem, click the "accept as solution" button. This can help others find solutions faster

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
Tom_Sturtevant
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello –

This is the expected behavior.  The freeform tools are useful for creating smooth, organic shapes.  The blocky mode in the freeform environment can be useful for understanding and manipulating the form but the final shape will be smooth.

There are sketch based parametric primitives available – you can enable them using “Show Panels” > “Primitives” from the context menu on the top menu bar.

Hope that helps!

T.0.M.

Tom Sturtevant
Inventor Part Modeling Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report