Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame generator workflow

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
drawingsCHR7R
911 Views, 14 Replies

Frame generator workflow

Hi all,

I have to create the assembly in the attached image. I want to attempt using frame generator as I believe this will be the quickest method.

End goal: I want to be able to have the frame generator create the sections based on the skeleton I provide and then have it so that I can do detailed drawings of the sections when required.

Could someone please assist me in what workflow I should use to attain this end goal.

Thanks

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
SBix26
in reply to: drawingsCHR7R

Are the nine 'ring' pieces identical?  What are the frame sections?  I can see that they are probably tubing, but is it rectangular or round?  What version of Inventor are you using?

While this could be done in Frame Generator, I think it could be done even more easily with multi-solid master modeling.  If you can provide dimensions (can't read them from the image), I or someone else here can show you how it can be done using both methods.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 3 of 15
drawingsCHR7R
in reply to: SBix26

Hi there, 

Yes they are all identical, there are no dimensions apart from the center piece being a Ø127 x 3 x 300 & the mounting pieces being 350mm in length.

The outside and middle members are all 50 x 50 x 5 EQ Angle.

I am using IV 2022.

Message 4 of 15
drawingsCHR7R

Hi Sam,

Attached is my attempt using multi-solid body, please see and if possible advise where I can improve, thanks.

I would also like to conduct a FEA study on this, any advice on how to start that? The floodlights this bracket will be taking weigh roughly 10kg each so 90kg in total. 

Thanks

Message 5 of 15
SharkDesign

Could do that in 5 minutes using frame generator + drawing time. 

Frame Generator in a nutshell. 

You draw a frame as a line sketch. 

Save that

Add that part to an assembly

Start frame generator and choose your size

apply to the lines

apply mitres/cuts

Done

Any holes need to be done at part level not assembly level so you need to double click to drill down to just the part you want to drill. 

This will produce an assembly and all the separate parts to go with it. For identical parts there is a reuse button too. 

Just be aware that if you change the size of any of the members at some point, it will create brand new parts, not update the original, this can fill up storage if you do it a lot. 

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 6 of 15
drawingsCHR7R

Hi Sam,

Attached is my attempt using multi-solid body, please see and if possible advise where I can improve, thanks.

I would also like to conduct a FEA study on this, any advice on how to start that? The floodlights this bracket will be taking weigh roughly 10kg each so 90kg in total. 

Thanks

Message 7 of 15
drawingsCHR7R
in reply to: SharkDesign

Thank you for the play-by-play, So the support members & mounting member will obviously be re-used 9 times, would that mean that I should only make a line sketch for one of each and then just pattern it?
Message 8 of 15
SharkDesign

I try not to use patterns in frame generator. Just use the sketch the the reuse button if they are identical.

reuse.PNG

Expert Elite
Message 9 of 15
drawingsCHR7R

Understood, so in this case for what I want to achieve, would I do a line diagram of the final assembly or just of the unique parts and then use reuse for the repeated parts?

Message 10 of 15
SharkDesign

You need the sketch to do a reuse
  Expert Elite
Message 11 of 15
drawingsCHR7R

I understand that, what I am asking is does the skeleton sketch need to have all 9 sides that are the same or can I just do one and then reuse to do the other 8?
Message 12 of 15
SharkDesign

Sorry, I replied to this a second time to clarify but it didn't post for some reason. 

You need the full sketch. When you click reuse, you'll click the member you want to reuse and then click the sketch line to position it. 

Expert Elite
Message 13 of 15
drawingsCHR7R

Perfect! Thanks for the information!
Message 14 of 15
SharkDesign

If any of these posts solved your issue, please mark as solution. 

Thanks 🙂

Expert Elite
Message 15 of 15
jtylerbc

@SharkDesign wrote:

Just be aware that if you change the size of any of the members at some point, it will create brand new parts, not update the original, this can fill up storage if you do it a lot. 

This is actually no longer true unless you want it to be.

One of the more recent versions (I'm fuzzy on which - I skipped all the way from 2018 to 2021.2) added an option called "Overwrite current file for size change".  If this is turned on, changing the size actually does update the original file (or at least saves over it with the same name).

You no longer get the excess files from size changes, unless you leave that option turned off.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report