Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

frame generator naming

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
admaiora
355 Views, 11 Replies

frame generator naming

Hi,

just  a bizarre request about frame generator members

Is there any way (with no iLogic/VBA) to have the part number of the member starting on saving with the same saving file name?

Thanks

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CCarreiras
in reply to: admaiora

Hi!

That naming process is controlled automatically by the tool, unless you chose to rename all members on creation.

ccarreiras_0-1663063027534.png

I use iLogic to do that: set the part number as the file name(without extension).
My approach is to run manually a rule, usually near the end of the project, (but it can be done anytime I need) to update the file name / part number.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
admaiora
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hi, I know that.

Even by renaming member on creation part number will be different from the file name.

Admaiora
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 4 of 12
CGBenner

@admaiora @CCarreiras 

Hey, have you tried any of the settings in App. Options for File Naming Defaults?  It looks like there is a way to add Part Number into the File Name or set it as the only variable so that it IS the file name.  Then you would just have to make sure your Part Number is populated in the Content Center.

CGBenner_0-1663072731293.png

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 5 of 12
cadman777
in reply to: CGBenner

Wow! Wish that was there 13 years ago!!!

Can you change that in ContentCenterEditor>FamilyProperties>ParameterMapping>TemplateParameters>FILENAME & PARTNUMBER?

Or maybe you can change that in ContentCenterEditor>RMB_on_Family>FileNaming?

I vaguely recall (but could be mistaken) that when you author a part you can change the number of digits in the sequence number, but don't know if you can do it after the fact.

Or this one.

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 6 of 12
admaiora
in reply to: cadman777

Simply (in any way) i can't get the member part number =filename (on first saving)

Admaiora

Message 7 of 12
CGBenner

In the image below, whatever appears in the Part Number column in your Family Table, should become the File name.  Key word - Should.

CGBenner_0-1663076480586.png

Chris Benner

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Message 8 of 12
cadman777

Chris,

Since I'm working w/an older version of Inventor, I don't have that setting.

So I have to do everything using the BOM, iLogic and/or the CC Editor.

It's been so long ago that I can't recall where I saw the incremental number on FG parts or how to change it.

I thought it was the Family Properties, but now I can't find it.

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 9 of 12
admaiora

hI @CGBenner  thanks.

But can you show me how you intend this?

I have already tried that with these results:

Admaiora

Message 10 of 12
CGBenner

@admaiora 

I made a mistake in what I showed you, sorry!  The fields on the left side of that File Naming form are for the Display Name only (what shows up in the browser).  On the right is where you would set the actual File Name.  What I've done is modify the Part Number column in the Family Table with the values I want.  Then set the File Name for Frame Members to <Part Number>.  You can type this or select it from the available parameters in the drop-down next to the field.  Any NEW frame members created will have the File Name = Part Number, unless you are using a Vault Numbering Scheme.  You would have to either disable or override that.

In my image below the warning next to the File Name field that I have circled is simply telling me that with Part Number it may be possible to create files with duplicate file names, so make sure your Part Numbers are all unique or add another parameter such as length in order to prevent that.

CGBenner_0-1663159946340.png

Chris Benner

Message 11 of 12
admaiora

Thanks @CGBenner  for your support, but maybe I am missing something (maybe the part where you say "modify the Part Number column in the Family Table with the values I want")

I want to save a member for example as "mb200.ipt"  and in the part number I want to see mb200.

Admaiora

Message 12 of 12
CGBenner

@admaiora 

Now, I am confused.  I thought you wanted the Value of Part Number from the Family Table to become the File Name of the generated frame member.  But I saw you change the file name as the member was generated.  Are you saying that you want the File Name that you give to the part to actually become the Part Number?  The other way around?

Chris Benner

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report