Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame generator demote display name

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
stevenL2ZFM
733 Views, 7 Replies

Frame generator demote display name

Hi,

When demoting frame members with frame generator demote, the resulting assembly the members are contained in has a display name of Assembly1.  All of them..  Anyone know why or how to have more control of this? See pic. I am using Inventor 2019.  Vault sequential naming.  The frame member display names are fine. Its just the assembly1.

Steven.

Annotation 2019-07-23 093023.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: stevenL2ZFM

Hi Steve,

This can be a problematic workflow. Unless you don't want to edit the frame members further, demoting or promoting (restructuring) frame members break the associativity and connectivity of the frame. The behaviors afterwards can be unpredictable. Could you tell me why you want to demote them individually?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 8
stevenL2ZFM
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi, Sorry, I just noticed your response. Just to clarify, I am not using the regular Demote or Promote function. There is a built in Frame member Demote or Frame member Promote function.  The files do not lose associativity to the frame.  All works as intended there.  I am using the Frame member demote to create individual assemblies that can easily have thier own drawings and property sets.

Steven.

Message 4 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Steven,

I am sorry I am not aware of a "built-in" Promote/Demote command for FrameGen members. Are you using a custom Add-In?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8
stevenL2ZFM
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi.

No add-in.  It is a function of Inventor.

Right click a frame member -> component -> select Demote frame generator component.   It will then behave the same as if using the standard demote, prompting for a file name.  The files are still linked to the frame assembly. See image attached.

Message 6 of 8
jan_priban

Hi,

I think easy way is to select all frames you want to demote into new sub-assembly and Demote.

FG_Demote1.jpgFG_Demote2.jpg

FG_Demote3.jpg

If you demoted few frames and want to add others/next, demote as before, but as target component/assembly type name of sub-assembly where your previously demoted frame already are - BottomFrame in my example.

Regards

Jan Priban

Message 7 of 8
stevenL2ZFM
in reply to: jan_priban

Hello,

Not sure who marked this as the solution. It is not a solution to the problem i listed.

You have shown how to demote using framegenerator, as well as how to demote to an existing assembly. I was aware of this feature and it is good to know, but it is not related to the issue of the original post.  

This issue here is the display name. We use sequential naming, so typing in a name is not an option.  The resulting assembly that is created has the correct filename (sequential number). However, the resulting assembly does not have the correct display name. It simply says Assembly1.  Every new demoted assembly that is created recieves the display name of Assembly1. 

Steven. 

Message 8 of 8
jan_priban

Hi Steven,

if filename is OK, change display name to file name. Could be solution?

Jan Priban

RenameToFileName.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report