Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame / Assembly help

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
655 Views, 13 Replies

Frame / Assembly help

Hi All,

New to the forums so apologies if anything is incorrect.

Started working for a new company 9 months ago, who predominantly used only 2D drawings (AutoCAD). My previous experience was CREO and we used the 3D models to produce the 2D drawings and analysis etc.

I've done some tutorials around assembly + the frame toolbox, and I'm wanting to know if I can create a "door" with a box section, that if I changed the height / width of the door that the box section would still have the "standardised gap" of lets say 5mm?

perrysaunders2ZQ59_0-1633597493967.png

Above is the frame I've produced from the skeletal frame tool box. I've used the parameter tool so that I can increase/decrease lengths and it would change other lengths etc.

perrysaunders2ZQ59_1-1633597593405.png

So I wanted to have a box section above this door, and be able to increase the height of the door whilst still having the box section above.

Thanks in advance!

Perry

Labels (3)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
tobias
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Perry,

I don't know if I follow you correctly but you can try to link the door to your parameters in your assembly:

tobias_0-1633606876299.png

This way you can you use the parameters of the door in the frame assembly.

Regards,

Tobias

Tobias
The Netherlands
Inventor Pro 2025, Vault Pro 2025, AutoCad Electrical 2025.

If a response answers your question, please use ACCEPT SOLUTION to assist other users later.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: tobias

perrysaunders2ZQ59_0-1633607950647.png

I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what you're suggesting. But I'd basically created a 3D sketch of the dimensions that we needed. I then created sub assemblies of the doors. However we often adjust the size of these doors, and it would obviously be much quicker if the box sections positioning was linked to the size of the door.

\

Message 4 of 14
JDMather

Can you Attach your Skeleton file here.

Derive Component will probably be your best friend.

(This process will be easy to do and is really what parametric modeling is all about.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

So I've attached the skeleton file. This is basically just the 3D sketch with the dims of the overall job. Please don't judge me too much as I've never really used alot of these functions prior to this job. And even then it's going off what I've managed to teach myself through youtube etc.

Message 6 of 14
tobias

That's why I thought to link the parameters of the doors to the frame.

The dimensions in the frame need to be linked to the door dimensions:

tobias_0-1633610902352.png

So in your skeleton sketch you link the door parameters.

Then in your frame parameters you say height d1 (for example) = door_height

Now when you modify the height of the door, the parameter in the 3D sketch should change to this new height after update.

Tobias
The Netherlands

If a response answers your question, please use ACCEPT SOLUTION to assist other users later.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

And yeh, I'm sure it's super easy! It's just because I haven't really done much Inventor and haven't really produced a component like this - my past experience is CREO with alternators.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

I'll attach a door as well - it might help perhaps

Message 9 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi Perry,

You did not do anything wrong. Please refrain from apologizing. We are here to learn and help. There are a few ways to link parameters. Derive to the component or link to an Excel spreadsheet. Also, you can use iLogic rule to access the parameters in the members. In the top-level assembly, create a simple rule and then you get access to all parameters in the components at lower levels.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 14
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll attach a door as well - it might help perhaps

I was working up an example, but it would help to have the door.

You Attached a *.iam file.

You must also attach the part files (*.ipt) as the *.iam is just a set of instructions on how to put the parts together.

You can create 3D sketch if you like - but I find it much easier to create 2D sketches as shown.

JDMather_0-1633637802358.png

See Attached file below.

Note that there are far fewer dimensions for the same geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Heres.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Yeh, I did feel the 3D sketch wasn't the greatest.

Message 13 of 14
tobias

Hi Perry,

Here is a screencast with parameter links. Before the screencast I first renamed the parameters.

You should definitly follow JDMather's advice on the sketch.

Regards,

Tobias

Tobias
The Netherlands

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: tobias

This should be enough info to look at for now. Thanks everyone for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report