Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

format painter

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
15862 Views, 15 Replies

format painter

another long shot,

i have just been wondering if anyone knows about a Format Painter tool / function like we also use in AutoCAD. this is the one that was accessible under commands such as:
" _matchprop ".

this would be good in inventor both part and idw environments.
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I think it's on the Inventor Wish List at http://augi.com

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
260-399-6615
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 11SP3, AIP 2008 SP1, PcCillin AV
HP zv5000 AMD64 ( modified)
Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185, 2GB RAM
XP Pro SP2, Windows Classic Theme
http://teknigroup.com
wrote in message news:5711943@discussion.autodesk.com...
another long shot,

i have just been wondering if anyone knows about a Format Painter tool /
function like we also use in AutoCAD. this is the one that was accessible
under commands such as:
" _matchprop ".

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

thanks very much dennis, i will follow up that augi.com area in future.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

There shouldn't be any need for a Format Painter if you're using Styles in IDWs

Once you've got your Style set-up all annotation will be the same. If you want
another Style in a drawing, just create another Style and change the annotations to
that new Style.

I can't see how a Format Painter will help in the Part environment. If you want to
change the colour of a lot of solid/SM faces there is a lovely little tool at
http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3453

--
Duncan
"Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by
fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary
living."
(Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002)
www.autodesk.co.uk/inventorjobs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

wrote in message news:5711943@discussion.autodesk.com...
another long shot,

i have just been wondering if anyone knows about a Format Painter tool / function
like we also use in AutoCAD. this is the one that was accessible under commands such
as:
" _matchprop ".

Message 5 of 16
JDMather

I'd go for that big time.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5016282

Been begging for one for a long time. The copy properties in idw has helped but I still need it in ipt. I saw a demo of SWX 2008 at SolidWorks World conference that "painted" the size of one fillet onto another. Very cool.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

It depends on what properties you're copying from one dependant feature to another
d/feature.

I thought you could already copy dimensions from one feature to a new feature you
are creating and keep them parametric/linked by using the Show Dimensions command
from the dimension field within the functions dialogue box, select the feature you
want to copy from and then select the dimension you want to copy.

--
Duncan
"Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by
living."

wrote in message news:5712111@discussion.autodesk.com...
I'd go for that big time.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5016282

Been begging for one for a long time. The copy properties in idw has helped but I
still need it in ipt. I saw a demo of SWX 2008 at SolidWorks World conference that
"painted" the size of one fillet onto another. Very cool.
Message 7 of 16
JDMather

In SWX 2008 you can click directly on a fillet in the graphics window and match the properties onto another. No need to go get the dimensions. There are other powerful tools in dealing with fillets that put Inventor to shame (at least that was my impression from the demo - I haven't had the opportunity to actually play with it yet).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

There are two things I like about Acad. The ability to customise it in more ways
that you can 'shake a stick at'. I just wish Inv could be this customisable.

The second is the Properties dialogue, which is a very powerful selection, filtering
and property editing tool. If it could also allow you to filter and choose which
properties you want to copy it would be an ideal tool and one love to se in Inv.

I think a properties copying tool has to be able to do more than just copy
dimensions from fillet to fillet. You need to be able to copy/link and map
dimensions, face colour and suppression etc between different types of features.
This would be useful for iPart creation (compute/non-compute)

--
Duncan
living."

wrote in message news:5712438@discussion.autodesk.com...
In SWX 2008 you can click directly on a fillet in the graphics window and match the
properties onto another. No need to go get the dimensions. There are other
powerful tools in dealing with fillets that put Inventor to shame (at least that was
my impression from the demo - I haven't had the opportunity to actually play with it
yet).
Message 9 of 16
JDMather

>I think a properties copying tool has to be able to do more

Yes, I was just giving one example. It could be a very powerful tool.

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

thanks people for your good input...hopefully our developers will sort it out for us soon.

anyway, i zapped it onto augi's wishlist, probably not the first time by the sound of it ;-\

-peace.
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

I really don't understand why Autodesk doesn't just use AutoCAD or something like it as the 2D sketching portion of it's Inventor product. I used AutoCAD years ago before moving to SolidWorks for the past 7 years and have very recently started a new job that uses Inventor. I was hopeful that some of my old AutoCAD knowledge would be useful during the transition but it is basically like Autodesk reinvented the wheel and made it square. Even if they couldn't build Inventor off of AutoCAD why not at least make 2d sketching look and function the same way. I know I will be told this is not a place to rant & "Inventor is not AuotCAD" but my question is why couldn't it be? Thousands of people already know how to use AutoCAD so it would seem like Autodesk could really use that as an advantage when trying to convince businesses to select Inventor over their competition. And I am not ranting just posing a question.

Message 12 of 16
Curtis_Waguespack

@Anonymous wrote:

... just posing a question.

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to the forum.

You're posting to a 10 year old thread. Smiley Wink

I am extremely proficient with AutoCAD and Inventor, but I simply use Inventor and AutoCAD differently. They are different programs created and maintained differently, they just happen to be owned by the same company. 

Often when we switch between applications its our own bias that holds us back. That was the case when I went from AutoCAD to Solidworks, and then later to Inventor. And these days I still suffer the same thing when going from Inventor to Fusion, etc. We just have to recognize this, adapt and overcome it.

Anyway, it's far too late for Inventor to  "just use AutoCAD or something like it as the 2D sketching portion". Inventor while possibly new to you, is a rather mature application at this point, with many many users that know it inside and out, so making changes to the foundation of it is not practical.

Plus many of us like Inventor's sketcher. Smiley Wink

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 13 of 16
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

First it would help if you didn't reply to a 10 year old posting and that most of the users who did participated in this old posting have archived accounts.   Smiley Wink

Secondly..   You have your opinion and that's fine to share and voice.  Yes we may see your posting as ranting but right now that's what it comes across as. 

In the end I'm not going to tell you that Inventor is not AutoCAD and AutoCAD is not Inventor (ok i just did Smiley Very Happy) but I have to ask why do you think it needs to be this way or the need for AutoCAD 2D inside of Inventor?  Share what sketching workflow you are struggling with that if AutoCAD was inside of Inventor it would make your life easier..    Meaning don't sound like you are complaining, share the struggles and that will help us understand what you are making these statments.

For my opinion..  I've used AutoCAD since release 9 and Inventor since 2008.  Yes maybe there was a couple of times some AutoCAD functions may have helped me when I started out but for the 10/11 years I've been using Inventor I never really wished AutoCAD 2D was inside of Inventor (but that's my opinion Smiley Wink)

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

I definitely understand and know that I will eventually get used to sketching in Inventor. It is always frustrating to change programs and I am early on in the process. And since I was posting to a 10 year old thread is it possible that Inventor has a format painter tool now? Please tell me I missed it.
Thanks,
mhogan
Message 15 of 16
Curtis_Waguespack

@Anonymous wrote:
Please tell me I missed it.

Hi milton.hogan, 

Since you said please, I want to tell you that...but then Mark.Lancaster would say my "pants are on fire". So no there is not format painter, at least not in the sense that you're asking. 

There is likely a way to do whatever you're after though.

Start a brand new thread and ask your question, and be specific about what you're doing:

• is this the part sketching environment you're working in
  • or the drawing environment, and so on.
  • Post a screen capture if you can.
  • mention the version of Inventor you're using (2017, 2018) etc,

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 16 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi Milton,

AutoCAD is a wonderful CAD program. We just celebrate its 35th birthday. There is nothing wrong liking AutoCAD. Do you have access to AutoCAD? You can still keep drafting in AutoCAD and then link the dwg file to Inventor via DWG Underlay workflow.

Inventor and its competitors are 3D feature-based parametric solid modelers specializing in aiding design for manufactured objects. The geometry created in Inventor cannot just look nice or look right. It has to be precise and logical. The geometry has to be within tight tolerance (10E-5mm) in order to serve as an ideal virtual build for manufacturing purpose. Sketch constraints and parametric dimensions help establish logical relationship between geometry. It may feel cumbersome at first. But, the ability to update geometry by changing parameter will save you a lot of redraw time.

Since you mentioned you used Solidworks before, Inventor should be fairly similar in terms of sketching. Could you give us specific examples that you have trouble with? Inventor is not perfect. Nor is any CAD on the market perfect. We always look for room to improvement.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report