Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forced to Check Out Children within an Assembly

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
MrSmithtastic
978 Views, 4 Replies

Forced to Check Out Children within an Assembly

This is something that has come up before but I've not seen anything as specific as this. I also cannot find any solution I am happy with anywhere so wanted to post about this to flag it up.... Again.

When checking out an assembly and when all I want is to check out the top level assembly. Even with the check box un-ticked to check out children, Inventor still tries its best to get me to check out a random selection of child parts when I check out the top level assembly. If I wanted to check out any child parts I would surely have the friggin tick box ticked to do just that! What is the point of the box if it doesn't actually work!!

Really starting to get on my nerves now and it needs to be fixed!

Does anyone have an actual solution for this or is it Autodesk that need to pull their finger out on this one?

checkout.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: MrSmithtastic

@MrSmithtastic

First,... be careful.   Your language is ok, but might be skirting the boundaries.  This is a friendly forum, as PO'd as we all get sometimes, we try to keep a lid on what we really want to say (referring to the finger remark... cutting a tad close.  lol)

Second,... and I think I speak for many Inventor/Vault users.... this is not something new.  This is an old issue that both the Vault and Inventor people are aware of.  We talked about it again this past week at Autodesk University (no, I'm not an ADSK employee, just a user like you).  They are supposedly working on solutions.  This has been going on for years.  This, and sometimes Inventor will want you to check out and save a file in the Vault that you have not made any changes to.  Several ideas have been brought to the table, and the ball is in ADSK's court on this one.  I wish I had a better answer.

Message 3 of 5

Hi jsmith8H3NA,

I think this is related to the "Stop telling me I need to save something I haven't changed" issue. Unfortunately, I do not really have a solution.

If I recall correctly, one of the most common causes for this is that your files are not migrated (vsaved in the latest version), so Inventor/Vault "smudges" the file when it looks to see if it has been saved in the current version of Inventor.

So migrating the files often resolves this for many vaulted, un-migrated, files.

About file / data migration:

Beyond migration, there seems to be several other reasons files get "smudged", but I think they are not as common.

If you haven't already done so, please visit this link and add a kudo ( vote ) to this idea, and leave further comments if you think it would be helpful:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/stop-telling-me-i-need-to-save-something-i-haven-t-cha...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 5

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

Hi jsmith8H3NA,

I think this is related to the "Stop telling me I need to save something I haven't changed" issue. Unfortunately, I do not really have a solution.

If I recall correctly, one of the most common causes for this is that your files are not migrated (vsaved in the latest version), so Inventor/Vault "smudges" the file when it looks to see if it has been saved in the current version of Inventor.

So migrating the files often resolves this for many vaulted, un-migrated, files.

About file / data migration:

Beyond migration, there seems to be several other reasons files get "smudged", but I think they are not as common.

If you haven't already done so, please visit this link and add a kudo ( vote ) to this idea, and leave further comments if you think it would be helpful:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/stop-telling-me-i-need-to-save-something-i-haven-t-cha...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Thanks,

It's definitely nothing to do with migration so who knows.

I have already Kudo'd that one haha.

Message 5 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: MrSmithtastic

How are you starting the check-out of your assembly?  I generally do this from the Inventor browser, having switched it to Vault view.  If the assembly is left collapsed in the browser, it wants to check out everything underneath.  But if the assembly is expanded, then only the selected item is offered for check-out.

I don't have Vault installed at home, so I can't get any screenshots or video today, sorry.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017 R3
Vault Basic 2017.0.1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report