Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat Pattern - Sweep Issue

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
golder.christopher
373 Views, 4 Replies

Flat Pattern - Sweep Issue

Hi,

I'm attempting to create a flat pattern of the attached part but keep getting an issue of "Invalid part thickness"

Can anyone help out to troubleshoot my part or suggest another way of creating it to get the flat pattern.

Thanks,

Chris

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Your Profile isn't connected to the Path and should probably be at the other end of the path (on the XY Plane).

Design Intent.PNG

Message 3 of 5

When making Sheet Metal parts, it's best to use only the sheet metal tools until you're familiar with how Inventor calculates these parts.  I've attached a sample that uses a Contour Roll.  However, flattening parts like this will stretch the material 2 directions at once, so make sure to double check that the flat pattern calculation is correct for you.  Typically Inventor Sheet Metal is meant for parts for bench pressing and straight rolling.

Message 4 of 5

Thanks Phillip1009.

Do you know if it's possible to create this part as a lofted flange? We'll be forming this part in a press brake and the guys are asking to have the bend lines etched on the flat pattern to make the bending easier.

Message 5 of 5

If you want to use a lofted flange, the best method might be to use two curved profiles in separate sketches with a possible 3rd to confine how these profiles relate to each other, basically you need to define the top and bottom curves.  Then after using the Lofted Flange, depending on how it was made, you may need to use a Cut feature to get rid of extra material you don't need.  If you do use the Cut feature, just make sure the Cut Normal box is checked.  I've attached a quick sample of this workflow.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report