Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat pattern of eccentric cone

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
4299 Views, 13 Replies

Flat pattern of eccentric cone

How can a flat pattern be made of the attached eccentric cone? The cone is a loft between two parallel circles.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

What release of Inventor?
If you use Shell the cut ends will not be perpendicular to the flat.
If you make a rectangular Extrude cut the cut ends will not be perpendicular to the flat.

I think you will need something like AutoPol to flatten.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

For eccentric cones I have had the most success using flats generated by 36-sided polygons. Although it's not a perfect circle on the ends it is how the fabricators make it. Pull down the End of Part to see the cone.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Here is the actual cone after fabrication.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

There are quite a few things that IV can't do when it comes to sheet metal. However, if you can make the parts yourself in the workshop then it's possible to create an IV part that gives a practical result. Other than that it's an expensive add-on. Maybe in a release or two's time IV will have these capabilities...... PLEASE.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

There is a great add-in package from German company: www.spi.de

--
Dell 670 dual Xeon - 3.2
3gb memory, SCSI320-15k
XP-Pro, sp2
Quadro FX3400: Driver: 169.61 Direct3D
IV2008-pro sp2,
SpacePilot Rel V: 3.6.4 Dvr V: 6.5.5 Firmware 3.12

wrote in message news:5931127@discussion.autodesk.com...
There are quite a few things that IV can't do when it comes to sheet metal.
However, if you can make the parts yourself in the workshop then it's
possible to create an IV part that gives a practical result. Other than
that it's an expensive add-on. Maybe in a release or two's time IV will
have these capabilities...... PLEASE.
Message 7 of 14
SBix26

Try the attached file (IV9 format, pull the End of File marker down). It's a cone trimmed eccentrically and therefore does not have exactly circular ends, but pretty close. It unfolds (unrolls?) with no problem.
Message 8 of 14
sanjaysy

Loft features will not open. You need to model in deferent way. here is the model however i'm not sure about the dimensions

Sanjay

Regards,
Sanjay
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

my method - loft as a surface, use thicken, place a cut, click on inside edge to flattern.
Message 10 of 14
JDMather

>my method - loft as a surface, use thicken, place a cut, click on inside edge to flattern.

Can you attach an example?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

appologise this only works for symetrical cones.

my next method would be...
draw the cone edges with the hex tool (20 sidesish)
loft as solid
fillet edges to internal rad of sheet thickness
derive surface
thicken- then flattern
i've done a square to round like this ok.
simlified ex included
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

How 'bout:
loft open polygons to surface
fillet
thicken
flatten

-Paul Cunningham
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Jansling,

I've spent the better part of this afternoon trying to make an eccentric cone myself, and through my labors I've found a relatively simple method. I'm currently using Inventor 2013, and here's how I made mine:

In a Sheet Metal Drawing...

1. Create a sketch on any plane. Draw whatever diameter you need to be the bottom of your cone (Mine was 12").
2. After drawing your circle, draw a rectangle originating from the centerpoint of your circle. Make the rectangle's width 1/8" (.125") or whatever size of a gap you'd like between the ends of the plate. Extend this rectangle until it overlaps one side of your circle. Trim the circle laying inside the rectangle.

3. Exit Sketch.
4. Select 'Offset Plane' under 'Plane' and offset a plane to whatever height you need your cone to be (Mine was 108").
5. Create a sketch on your offset plane. Draw whatever diameter you need to be the top of your cone (Mine was 84").

6. After drawing your circle, draw a rectangle originating from the centerpoint of your circle. Make the rectangle's width 1/8" (.125") or whatever size of a gap you'd like between the ends of the plate. Extend this rectangle until it overlaps one side of your circle. Trim the circle laying inside the rectangle.
7. Exit Sketch.
8. Select the 'Loft' command, then select the second arc you created. After selecting the second arc, select the first arc you created. Under 'Output' (bottom middle of the window), select 'Surface'.
9. Click 'OK' to finish the 'Loft' command.
10. Under the '3D Model' Tab, select the 'Thicken' command. The 'Thicken' command will be on the right side of your Ribbon (if you are using the default Ribbon setup).
11. After selecting 'Thicken', specify the thickness of your material (right side of the window) and which direction you would like the material to go (left side of window, three buttons).
12. Under the 'Sheet Metal' Tab, select 'Flat Pattern', on the far right side of your Ribbon.

Voila! I hope that this helped out! I've also attatched my model to this post, if you run into any problems.

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

janlsing,

Try this method...

Start with a Lofted Flange in Sheet Metal, not a shelled loft...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report