Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fillet Extends Past Ends Of Feature

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
SBoener3BBCE
547 Views, 5 Replies

Fillet Extends Past Ends Of Feature

I haven't been able to find anyone else dealing with this, so it might just be a weird setting on my end.  I am trying to create a fillet between the end of a rib and the bottom face of a shell in my actual part.  Instead of staying within the width of the rib, the fillet extends the full width of the part.  I have tried several options and fillet sizes and have not been able to get it to work as I expected in Inventor.  Recreating the part in Solidworks, the fillet tool behaves as I expect.  Screenshots are attached, and I'm attaching the example Inventor file.  The model tree is identical in both programs, the base extrude, then a midplane, extrude to create the rib, and finally the fillet.

I could add an extrude to remove the unwanted portion of fillet, but that seems kind of kludgy.

Labels (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mluterman
in reply to: SBoener3BBCE

Sometimes, I just draw the fillet on a 2D sketch (arcs and lines) and extrude it rather than using the actual "Fillet" command itself; that command can be finicky.

Message 3 of 6
Message 4 of 6
SBoener3BBCE

@mluterman Your solution looks like the best one currently available, so I'm marking yours as accepted.

@Gabriel_Watson Voted for both, was able to add the screenshots to the second one in a post, but couldn't figure out how to attach the .ipt file so used the permalink to link back to here.

Message 5 of 6

Pictures are good enough for now. Thanks for contributing! Most people stop at the problem, but now we can demand a proper solution.
Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! This is currently a limitation in Inventor's modeling kernel, shared by multiple ADSK products. The issue here is that the selected edge is on a face shared by the adjacent edges. The Fillet operates on the entire side face.

To get the desirable result, you may want to split the face as shown in the image.

Fillet.png

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report