Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files open in read-only mode

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Mark_Geurds
2034 Views, 5 Replies

Files open in read-only mode

Since a couple of minutes all my inventor files (ipt, iam, dwg) are opening in read-only environment by default. My settings are:

-File opens in inventor 2020 (rmb> open with, 2020 is selected)

-The 'normal' properties doesn't have the box 'read-only' ticked.

I can't find anything in the iProperties, regarding this subject.

Is there someone who can help me?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mdavis22569
in reply to: Mark_Geurds

Are you open Inventor or are you opening Inventor Read Only mode?

2020 Inventor read only mode.jpg

Make sure what one you're opening ... this was a new feature added for 2020

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Mark_Geurds
in reply to: mdavis22569

I have Inventor Professional 2020 opened, yet when I double-click any Inventor file it opens the file in Read Only (new instance). When i drag the file in the professional it opens there. I've just checked my regedit-> root and there it says open in RO. I don't know what I've done to set RO as default but it is in every file-type. Very annoying and I don't prefer chaning things in the registry. Do you know what caused it?

Message 4 of 6
mdavis22569

Make sure you're using the right Icon they are pretty much the exact same.  

I have the full version icon in my start.   

Might try doing a clean uninstall / reinstall .. 

last thought, make sure you're file association / open with is set to the full EXE and not the read only option.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
Mark_Geurds
in reply to: mdavis22569

What you are mentioning is what I've experienced with 2019. This got me thinking, the 2019 version was never uninstalled, so I did that and now every Inventor file is opening in 2020 professional. I don't know how, I don't know why, but it's working again? Even in the regedit the string is changed to inventor instead of invRO. I'm baffled, but it's working so yeah, lets see where we will get! Thank you for your response.

Message 6 of 6
Mark_Geurds

Update:

When first time opening Inventor Professional every Inventor file opens in the same instance.

When opening a file in RO (Read Only), every file opening after that is opening in RO in a new instance. When selecting 'open with' it shows two same Inventor icons, yet I now know the second one is the Professional, but if i click on it it opens a new instance of Inventor professional. Very annoying and I'm trying to contact our PC-guy to fix this. Any help will be very helpful! (yes I've tried to change strings for opening in same instance in registry but it doesn't seem to work).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report