Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature / Model tree display setting Inventor assembly - Name / part number

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jaskiratVPK8U
2362 Views, 6 Replies

Feature / Model tree display setting Inventor assembly - Name / part number

Hi

I need help with the display setting of the feature tree in inventor assembly. I have part with part number S201852-CCH4, but in the tree it shows the part number of old part (S201852-CCH2) from which I copied and created this new part. What can I do to get correct part number shown in the tree. I have part number is same as file name. 

Also I am not sure if tree shows part number or file name.

jaskiratVPK8U_0-1601043167172.png

feature tree display.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: jaskiratVPK8U

Try selecting this item in the browser, click on it until it gives you the ability to rename it.  Select the delete key, then the enter key.

EE LOGO.png
Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2021

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 7
mcgyvr

Change the name on the "occurrence" tab of the iproperties. 

Or slowly double click on the name in the model browser to rename it there

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 7
jaskiratVPK8U
in reply to: mcgyvr

The display name should be linked to either file name or part number. If I change the name manually it can create error in future. Is there any way to keep it parametric and still show the accurate information without manually overwriting it. I do want the manual stuff in inventor just like AutoCAD. I used solidworks for many year. It had option to display the name, part number and description, all these parameters were linked to part properties (no over writing) 

Message 5 of 7
mcgyvr

Normally it works as you discussed and you do not need to do that manually..

There may be a bug/specific workflow that is causing that "out of sync" condition you are seeing. It should not be happening all the time and normally you do not need to do this manual process. 

While Inventor is very similar to Solidworks each program has its own differing functions,etc.. and each program has its issues/bugs,etc... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 7
swalton

Normally the display name in the browser matches the document file name.

Structural Steel shapes placed as Custom from Content Center (including Frame Generator) behave differently.

Those parts match the display name to the filename when first placed, but they don't automatically change the display name to match the filename when copied.  Why?  Only Autodesk knows why this might be a useful feature.  In fact, if open the copied part, you will see that the feature browser shows the wrong name (possibly even the window header, I forget).

I open the part, then delete all the text from the part name in the feature browser, and press enter.  That resets the part display name to match the filename.  It fixes the display name for any assembly that consumes the part, and makes the display name work as normal for all new copies of the part.

Again I have no idea why this feature exists, but Inventor has behaved this way for at least 10 years, so it must be by design and not a bug.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 7 of 7

Hi! The only logical reason I can think of is that the particular frame member browser name was changed manually. As a result, the renamed name persists. Try this. Go to Productivity Tools -> Rename Browser Nodes -> set it to Default or File Name. After that, are you able to reproduce the behavior?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report