Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Face to kerf-compensated DXF for laser cutting?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1149 Views, 5 Replies

Face to kerf-compensated DXF for laser cutting?

Hi,

I have an assembly of relatively complex flat pieces (extruded sketches) that I need to laser cut. The manufacturer I found require that I provide kerf-compensated drawings, and I can’t find how. Using the 2D profile tool in CAM (formerly HSM), I can specify a kerf width, but I can’t find a way to just export the computed path to a DXF. I’m reasonably certain I’m missing something obvious, but I can’t find what.

Thanks for any help 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Frederick_Law
in reply to: Anonymous

Does it really matter?

Diameter of the laser is 0.010 in?

Without kerf it cut 0.005 smaller?

You can use Direct Edit on the flat model to offset 0.005 over size.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Frederick_Law

It shouldn’t matter too much and if there’s no solution I’ll get the model cut without compensation, but the assembly is very tight already and I’d rather avoid to add kerf error on top of laser tolerance. (Also the cutting + material isn’t cheap, so I’d rather put all the odds on my side, if possible, to avoid too many costly trial and error)

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Find another laser cutting shop, they are common enough now that you do not have to deal with that degree of incompetence. Every industrial laser made has cutter (kerf) compensation.

Message 5 of 6
Frederick_Law

True but most of the time the profile failed to "kerf".

We have done lots of arts which only works to not "kerf".

Or spend hours or days to fix the profile.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

I had the same problem with adjusting the path for laser cutting. So I wrote a small application to help with it and put it online. Hope it might help someone. It is still buggy and with limited capability, but can most parts. https://lasercutoffset.wordpress.com Hope it helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report