Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrusion inside geometry

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
517 Views, 3 Replies

Extrusion inside geometry

I am trying to extrude a 3D sketch I made inside of my primary geometry, and no matter what I do I can't select it for extrusion. If there is a way to do so, that would be awsome, if there is some bypass or some other way, I would love to hear it, thanks.

unknown (5).png

Labels (5)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
andrewiv
in reply to: Anonymous

You cannot use a 3D sketch for an extrusion.  The best you could do is to create a 2D sketch and project the geometry from the 3D sketch and use that for your extrusion.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 4
JDMather

With 3D sketch you might be able to create a Patch and Thicken, otherwise you will have to Project to a 2D sketch as suggested by @andrewiv .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 4
johnsonshiue

Hi! Aside from Andrew and JD had mentioned, there is actually a way to "extrude" 3D sketch. The command is called Ruled Surface (in Surface Modeling panel). In the dialog, you can select the third option on the left. Next select the 3D Sketch, select a direction to move forward, and set a distance. You will get a surface body. You can use Boundary Patch or workplanes and Sculpt to a solid.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report