Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskโ€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extruding with Free Form Bodies

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1391 Views, 8 Replies

Extruding with Free Form Bodies

Hi there!

More questions with Free Form.   ๐Ÿ˜„

I have created a part that needs to have a 1mm x 45 degree bevel underneathe it.  

What I've done so far:

-I currently have 2 Freeform parts and used the Combine tool to join them together

-Next I created a Fillet between the two parts

-I then used an Offset Workplane to create a Split on XZ and new Sketch to Project the outer Geometry of the Combined Parts.

-This is where I want to use that Projected Geometry to create an Extrusion of 1mm with 45 degrees taper but its only allowing me to have 11 degrees.

I've been trying so many different ways around this, changing angles, changing the Freeform shapes but no luck...  Is there a way to determine EXACTLY where the Extrude is intersecting on itself as I feel I am only taking stabs in the dark and getting no where ๐Ÿ˜ž  or even better is there another way to create this 45 degree bevel under my part?

thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

JERSEY8.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
WHolzwarth
in reply to: Anonymous

It can't be done easily. Some workarounds are needed.

Jersey.jpg

2018 IPT attached

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
Xun.Zhang

Hello,

If you create an other workplane offset to the split plane as 1mm, then create a new sketch, make the sketch offset that loop 1mm, you will find the intersects for the offset loop, that's the reason. 

Please use trim command to remove the intersects and make a loft instead, refer to the attached part. 

Untitled.png

Hope it helps!

Xun
Message 4 of 9
WHolzwarth
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Smiley Wink Some task for Software QA Engineering, Xun. Bad loft ..

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Ah, maybe two more guidelines needed in both side.

Xun
Message 6 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! Instead of offsetting the sketch to create the profile, this case may benefit from offsetting the side faces and then projecting cut edges. In this way, the self-intersection profile will be cured by surface offset.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Yay!  Thank you Walter, Xun and Johnson! ๐Ÿ™‚

Ok So I had a go at it and was able to get pretty close using the Thicken/Offset Surface and then Projecting on an Offset WorkPlane of 1mm and using Loft Feature.

Xun I wanted to go with the offset of Sketch but I am having trouble, it doesn't seem to allow me to Offset outwards, only in? (I have attached a Screenshot, its not showing but when I bring the Offset outwards, it has a small circle with a cross through it)

In my second picture I posted, the intersecting point doesn't look clean, it's like overlapping, how could I fix this?  This is why I was hoping to use the Offset Sketch option but unfortunately doesn't work. ๐Ÿ˜•

Again, I am grateful for the help, I've been teaching myself as much as I can and you guys have been amazing in expanding my Inventor/ Freeform knowledge!  ๐Ÿ™‚

JERSEY-offset.jpgJERSEY.jpg

Message 8 of 9
Xun.Zhang

Hello,

I don't have the offset problem and you can download my model directly. and, this one is better and simple without Loft but extrude instead.

Untitled.png

Xun
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

thank you again for your help! ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report