Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude works, but not surface extrude.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Cameron_Greatorex
826 Views, 4 Replies

Extrude works, but not surface extrude.

Hi there,

I'm back again. After practising the process repeatedly yesterday (adding details to a curved surface), I was asked to add more detail. I adjusted one of the sketches and for some reason, I can extrude the profile without error, but the moment I try to create a surface extrusion the profile gets split. If I clear the input geometry field and select the profile a second time, nothing gets extruded.

So far I have deleted each section of the profile geometry and replaced it, but the profile won't hold no matter what. The sketch and feature give no error when trying to repair it.

Ideas?

Thank you! 

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

You have a self-intersecting or open loop in the sketch (and an Extruded Surface is not needed to do Split, you can use a valid sketch directly).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
imajar
in reply to: JDMather

Your issue is the loop is not "closed".  I've highlighted below two lines come together but are not connected correctly. (i've highlighted it below, if you drag one of the adjacent lines, you will see it becomes disconnected, you need to add a coincident constraint to the 2 points).  Right click the sketch and select sketch doctor - it will help you out.  (although I think the tool could be significantly improved, it is still good to know about).  Once you connect that one point, the surface extrude works.

As a side note, the sketch is not fully constrained, so if you drag any of the lines with the mouse they can move.  It is good practice to fully constrain everything so that it cannot move.  When you do get into the practice of fully constraining everything, it is easy to find problems like this when you right click and select "show all degrees of freedom".

Capture.JPG

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 4 of 5

Thank you JD. I could swear I checked every connection, and seeing it extrude made me think I was in the clear. There was no recovery option showing for the sketch too.

I've repaired it and am back in the zone. Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Cameron_Greatorex
in reply to: imajar

Thank you for your reply and for the reminder as well. As I said to JD, it extruded fine and there was no recovery option for the sketch which made me think I was in the clear. I'll remember to call up the doctor more often!

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report