Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude not working as it should

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Al.Thomas
3559 Views, 5 Replies

Extrude not working as it should

Hello, 

I am new to Inventor and I'm trying to learn the basics from Youtube. I've been using AutoCAD 3D for a while, but it didn't cover my needs, so I decided to abandon it. While I was watching some tutorials, I came accross this Tutorial, but I couldn't extrude the object properly (or at least the same way the tutor did in the video) on 8.22. It seems like something is not working the same way on my program (Inventor Pro 2017), because whenever I try to extrude the 2D Sketch, It extrudes the whole sketch instead of the outer part of it. Can someone explain me what is the difference/what am I doing incorrectly? I know my question is not that specific, but I can't find better words to describe it. Also, it would be great if you could point me to some decent tutorials.

Thanks for your time,

Thomas

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
admaiora
in reply to: Al.Thomas

Hi Alex,

try to Project Geometry (in the sketch enviroment) clicking the inner geometry limit.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 6
Mark.Lancaster

@Al.Thomas

Not saying you can't use the Shell function but I assume the shell was used to create the ID of the vertical cylindrical extrusion, is that correct?   My advice would be to use simply modeling functions over more involved functions like shell.   However I didn't watch the video if they used they used it too..  But there maybe a reason.  Smiley Wink

Update:  I just watched some of the video..  I see they are just teaching you those functions..  But in my opinion I don't agree how they show you the chamfer and shell function for that vertical piece.  Meaning I would've never modeled it like that.  Smiley Very Happy

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! I guess the difference is probably due to profile selection. Probably, the model in the video has the bottom circular edge projected but yours does not have it. Please feel free to post the part here so we can explain it better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6
Al.Thomas
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello,

I've noticed what I was doing wrong. On 4.15, the tutor says: select the line tool from the ribbon, and from the center, move out to the right hand side, click and snap your line on to the horizontal... After watching the video many times, I've noticed that he didn't draw a line from the center of the circle to the right hand side. He just moved his cursor.

I am really sorry to waste your time

Thank you for your responses,

Thomas

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi Thomas,

Please refrain from any apology! You are not doing anything wrong. We are all learning from each other and trying to make Inventor better. You are more than welcome to ask any Inventor question here. The experts on the forum can help answer the questions.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report