Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting inventor text to dxf

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rob.gunther
2506 Views, 5 Replies

Exporting inventor text to dxf

We export flat pattern dwgs to dxfs for conversion to our laser file format. After upgrading to Inventor 2018, all of our text is now including the font format information along with the text ex. {fTxt_IV25|b0|i0;\H0.3800;intended text}. This is then getting transferred to our laser files.

This is causing large amounts of pain. does anyone know how to turn this off?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: rob.gunther

Hi Rob,

On Inventor 2018, you could convert Inventor text to geometry. Edit the sketch and right-click on the text -> Convert to Geometry. Would it work better for you?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6
Xun.Zhang

Hi Rob,

Echo Johnson's reply, the text conversion is actually target to your laser cutting purpose.

You can refer more from below link.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/Inventor-Help/files/G...

Xun
Message 4 of 6
rob.gunther

Thanks for the responses, but this doesn't help. The text exists in the drawing, not as a sketch on the part, and it is user parameter driven, which doesn't appear to be an option in sketch text. Plus it is nice to have the option to edit the text in the laser software. This was working fine in 2015, but the 2018 jump has left me scratching my head.

Message 5 of 6
mcgyvr

@johnsonshiue

Johnson.. Was there a change in the DXF standard or something?

Even when I save back to older dxf versions I'm still seeing what the user here is talking about..

When I create text in a drawing in Inventor 2018 and save it as DXF then edit the dxf in a text editor its listed as.. (example text of "Apple")

{\fArial|b0|i0;Apple}

When I do the same in acad the text is shown as

apple

when I open the dxf from Inventor in autocad the extra data is not shown but it seems that their other software is not compliant with this newly changed dxf data..

But I would expect saving back to older versions wouldn't cause problems if their software is compliant with the proper dxf version/standards?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 6
rob.gunther

To add a few new wrinkles to the problem, certain sets of files export without the font detail, but with curly braces around the text { } .

And on the ones that are exporting with the font information, if I go in and change the font, all the extra characters go away, even if i change it back to the original font.

Also, all of these exports are using the same DXF file Export configuration file, saving to 2004 dxf format. So i feel I've eliminated the font as the problem, and the ini file. Could it be the version of Inventor the drawing was created in?

Thanks again for all the input!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report