Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting file to x_t changes the units

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
scott.boelens
1128 Views, 7 Replies

Exporting file to x_t changes the units

I have a vendor that requires us to export our Inventor files to the parasolid format.  In the past, this has not been an issue.  However, when I did the export today, the file that was created was in metric units when it should have remained standard units.  How can I force the export process to keep the standard units so we don't run into issues with the vendor?  I should add that we recently upgraded to the 2020 professional version of Inventor.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Cadmanto
in reply to: scott.boelens

Welcome to the forum.

When you upgraded, did something change in your standard templates?

The units are changed in the Tools>Document settings.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2020

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 8
Frederick_Law
in reply to: Cadmanto

Message 4 of 8

Hi! If I recall correctly, x_t file does not carry unit. It is the importing end to determine what unit to bring in the geometry. Please share an example showing the changed behavior.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8
scott.boelens
in reply to: Cadmanto

Not that I am aware of (clearly).  I reviewed the document settings per your suggestion and they are correct.

Message 6 of 8

Here's a screenshot of the original file.

Capture1.PNG

Here's a screenshot of the import settings when pulling the x_t back into Inventor.  As you can see, the units are being selected from the source.

Capture2.PNG

And here's a screenshot of the resulting file.

Capture3.PNG

Somehow, the exported x_t file is getting told to make the unit metric, which is not what it should be.

Message 7 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: scott.boelens

Unless the customer specifically requests *.x_t (Parasolid Text), I would use *.X_b (Parasolid Binary), but this doesn't solve your issue.

I did some testing with a 1 inch cube in 2018 and 2020.

The Parasolid file did open as Inch units in 2018, but opened as metric units in 2020 (although units were correctly translated and size was correct).

I opened in my seat of SolidWorks and it opened as metric (correct size translation), but I have to verify this result on a "clean" machine later today as I have "fooled" with my SolidWorks templates.  I will report back once I have run the second machine test.

Bottom line though, I teach my students to always always always check the magnitude and units of any converted geometry.  It is easy in any of the programs that we use to check and set the units to desired units.  But history shows that even NASA contractors have gotten this wrong...

In my test case the geometry is translated correctly, but units have been changed in 2020 where they remained the same in my test of 2018.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: JDMather

Hi Guys,

I am not able to confirm the behavior. I tried JD's test workflow, exporting 1 in^3 cube to x_t. Then import the same file back with unit set to "From Source." The Unit is always set to meter in the imported file. The behavior is consistent from 2016 to 2020.

I think there could be a little confusion about the AnyCAD import if you export the file in the same name (but different extension). On import, Inventor may simply show the source part, not the newly imported file. You will either export it to a different name or close the current source ipt file and then import it back.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report