Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting design view to step

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
mattias.huysmans
952 Views, 1 Reply

Exporting design view to step

Hello,

I want to export an assembly to STEP format, but certain parts (not full parts, but pieces of the parts) wont show up in the STEP file.

It is an assembly of 3 parts, engine, outlet and pipe. The pipe.ipt has a design view rep. where a few surfaces indicate the required maintenance space. Those can be turned invisible on the assembly level (as Des. view). The problem is that those surfaces do not show up when the assembly (or the pipe.ipt) is exported as a STEP-file.

So far I guess the problem is that the surfaces are invisible in the master view, and this is the view that gets exported. But I can't change it because it is locked.

I wonder if there is a way to export a specific non-master design view, so far I haven't found it.

Perhaps the problem lies in the fact that it is a library file, from my company's CAD-desk/SAP database, and I have only limited rights on the model.

I work in Inventor professional 2019.4

I will try to recreate the problem in a model I am allowed to share.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

To those who have the same problem, by trying recreate the problem as example I figured out the solution. 

When the master view is active, and you try to change the visibility of certain features (in an IPT-file), you will get an error saying changes will not be saved while the des. view is locked. BUT, when you go to the selection tree, above the representations folder, in the solid/surface folder, and change the visibility there, you can save the changes. 

I guess it's technically a workaround, but it works for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report