Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export to PDF layers messed up

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Cris-Ideas
1827 Views, 23 Replies

export to PDF layers messed up

Hi,

does anyone know why when Exporting to PDF there is so big mess with layers?

I have a idw with a bunch of sheets. When I export it to PDF some sheets have objects on layers that are to be expected but some for no particular reason have them totally messes up.

For instance dimensions are on visible rather than dimension, some views are on 0 and some on visible. In consistence there is no sense in having layers because they have random objects.

How this is possible that this works so bad????

Cris.

Cris,
https://simply.engineering
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
mcgyvr
in reply to: Cris-Ideas

can you post the idw file?

Do you really need layers in the PDF?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 24
blair
in reply to: mcgyvr

Your solid lines will be on Visible (ANSI) and hidden lines will be on Visible Narrow (ANSI). The rest are pretty expanitory other than (0) which should control any "shading" which sometimes also appears onthe Visible Narrow (ANSI) for some unknown reason.

I tend to agree, not sure why Layers is in a PDF file for, I guess some one thought back around release 11 (not 2011) it would be a great idea.

Capture.JPG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 24
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

If its consistent then it might be related to how your styles are setup..

What layer should dimensions be on in your style library..

If its only happening with this drawing...well then.. its not related to that..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 24
blair

I have two shaded ISO views of the same model, the first view the shading is on the (0) layer and the second placed shaded ISO view of the same item the "shading" is on a different layer.

I would call it a "issue", the kind name for "bug". 

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 24
Cris-Ideas

@mcgyvr wrote:

If its consistent then it might be related to how your styles are setup..

What layer should dimensions be on in your style library..

If its only happening with this drawing...well then.. its not related to that..

It is not consistent - it is random

dimension should go to "dimensions" layer according to objects default. - in pdf dimensions on some sheets are on dimensions layer but on other sheets they are on visible or visible narrow (random).

And layers are useful for example to hide dimensions if someone needs to print drawing without them.

And this is really an issue when client is colling and complaining not being able to do that, or complaining because hiding dimensions that "accidentally" went on visible layer is also making whole views not possible.

This becomes even bigger issue if it is in the middle of the night the day before important presentation.

Cris.

Cris,
Message 7 of 24
mcgyvr

Are you on subscription?

If so I might suggest creating a support case so they can track/address the "issues"..

You might also get an email from Autodesk (if you haven't gotten it already) asking if you need additional help because there are no posted solutions to this topic..

Click yes I need additional help and "hopefully" you might have someone from Autodesk see this post and respond accordingly.. 

Message 8 of 24
Jon.Dean

Hi,

This issue has been logged with development and they are saying it is fixed in the next release.

I will do some testing to verify and get back to you with my findings.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Dean

Message 9 of 24
Cris-Ideas
in reply to: Jon.Dean

Next version would be 2017?

Cris.

Cris,
Message 10 of 24
Jon.Dean

Yes, that is correct Inventor 2017.

I have done some testing and it seems to be working correctly.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Dean

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Jon.Dean

We are facing this same issue too. If you have already been testing this and it seems to be working, why not release the fix for version 2016 also? 

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I believe I'm experiencing a very similar issue and it's causing us a lot of headaches. We automatically export and send these drawings to our suppliers and it's really frustrating for them to work of buggy pdf's and frustrating and disruptive for us to recreate these PDF's.

We're using Inventor 2015, and I don't think we will be switching over to 2017 anytime soon... So a hotfix would be greatly appreciated.

Message 13 of 24
Cris-Ideas

To all of you hoping for hotfixes to earlier releases of inventor.

GIVE UP ALL HOPE

you should understand that you are users already consumed and without any potential to Autodesk. You have already paid and now you must be forced to pay again.

It is Autodesk policy NOT to fix anything in earlier releases of its software.

Frustrated just like you,

Cris.

Cris,
Message 14 of 24
mcgyvr

@Cris-Ideas wrote:

To all of you hoping for hotfixes to earlier releases of inventor.

GIVE UP ALL HOPE

you should understand that you are users already consumed and without any potential to Autodesk. You have already paid and now you must be forced to pay again.

It is Autodesk policy NOT to fix anything in earlier releases of its software.

Frustrated just like you,

Cris.

Lets see here.. Smiley Wink

Update 5 for Inventor 2015 SP2 was released on May 10 2016 which is over 2 years after 2015 was released and 2016 was already out for over a year and 2017 was just released 1 month before that date.. 

So it seems like they support at least 2 years back or more if needed (demand plays a big part in that I'm sure) 

While I understand your frustration... Your policy statement just isn't true.. They do release updates after you have already "paid" and after they have already released a new version (2 in fact) of the program.. 

Personally I print all idw files to PDF using adobe pdf (or cutepdf,etc...) 

I really don't see a benefit in including layer information in a PDF.. Its really not needed..

So you always have that option if there isn't enough need to release an update for your older software..

Message 15 of 24
Cris-Ideas

@mcgyvr

I see you are great admirer of Autodesk.

Fact is that Autodesk only fixes critical bugs. If it comes to simple, ordinary bugs, that do not cause software to crash, but are only causing user problems they are not fixed.

I got this answer directly from autodesk many times. It was also sent to me by customer support in case of this particular issue this thread is about.

The answer basically is: "Technical team confirmed this problem is fixed in 2017 so I close this case".

You cam say you use Adobe software to create PDF files, and you do not understand the reason why we want to export them from inventor. Well maybe you do. Have you tried to compare size of PDF exported and printed? I suppose you did not.

You do not understand why to use layers. Well you don't. Please do not force everyone to also do not understand. I and others see point in it and we consider layers in pdf useful. Also Autodesk, witch you admire so much, considers it useful and introduced them in to pdf.

So it is perfectly reasonable users expect this feature to work properly rather than be useless. Also workaround requiring purchasing software of different vendor is not something that is to be accepted.

Inventor is full of bugs and it is very frustrating they are not getting fixed when found.

Cris.

Cris,
Message 16 of 24
mcgyvr

@Cris-Ideas wrote:

@mcgyvr

I see you are great admirer of Autodesk.

Fact is that Autodesk only fixes critical bugs. If it comes to simple, ordinary bugs, that do not cause software to crash, but are only causing user problems they are not fixed.

I got this answer directly from autodesk many times. It was also sent to me by customer support in case of this particular issue this thread is about.

The answer basically is: "Technical team confirmed this problem is fixed in 2017 so I close this case".

You cam say you use Adobe software to create PDF files, and you do not understand the reason why we want to export them from inventor. Well maybe you do. Have you tried to compare size of PDF exported and printed? I suppose you did not.

You do not understand why to use layers. Well you don't. Please do not force everyone to also do not understand. I and others see point in it and we consider layers in pdf useful. Also Autodesk, witch you admire so much, considers it useful and introduced them in to pdf.

So it is perfectly reasonable users expect this feature to work properly rather than be useless. Also workaround requiring purchasing software of different vendor is not something that is to be accepted.

Inventor is full of bugs and it is very frustrating they are not getting fixed when found.

Cris.

Trust me.. I think Autodesk has its flaws just like everyone.. 

In fact I think that the amount of issues (half finished functionality..clearly pushed out before its really ready) with the initial release of 2017 clearly shows their flaws in a major way and as someone that is on subscription and is contributing money to them each year I personally expect that they should focus most of their effort into the latest (and upcoming) versions of their software..

I don't want them spending much time on "old" versions as thats not benefiting the majority of their customers..

BUT.... your blanket statements just aren't true.. They do release fixes for "small" issues and do a decent job fixing them as soon as they can..

If you look at many of the read me files associated with the updates/service packs you will see there are plenty of non-critical fixes included in them..

As to file sizes... Just ran a test on the drawing I'm working on now..

Inventor generated PDF = 80.6kb

Adobe Printed PDF from Inventor = 16.6kb

Cute PDF (which is FREE BTW) Printed from Inventor = 16.7kb

So I'm not sure where you are going there unless you goal is to have LARGER files as the "printed to Adobe or CutePDF printer" file is more than 4 times smaller than the Inventor saved/exported to PDF file..

What version of Inventor are you using BTW?

Maybe @Jon.Dean can see what he can do to look into when/if that issue will be fixed in the version you are using or can help "push" them to release it or at least keep it on the "fix radar".

I do agree that answering that "its been fixed in the latest release" is NOT an acceptable answer (assuming I was only 1 release back)

But again.. demand plays an important part in prioritizing work at every company.. Little demand falls to the bottom of the pile..

If I was on a recent version of Inventor I wouldn't have allowed the case to be closed and would have responded that the case should be reopened (assuming I was only 1 release back again).

They should be fixing issues and are fixing issues on 2016 for sure still and were even releasing fixes for 2015 as little as a few months ago..

I also believe that "layers" in a PDF is mostly a useless feature.. Why would you want to print a drawing without any dimensions?

Whats the real point? Whats the "big" benefit there? A fabrication drawing without dimensions is basically useless..

again.. I understand your frustration... But the blanket statements just aren't correct..

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous

The advantage of exporting it through the Inventor functionality instead of printing to PDF is that it's much easier from an automation perspective. I really don't care about the layers. That is also something Autodesk implemented, which is fine, but give also an opt-out then. But you can't make settings on the export regarding layers.

All in all it's frustrating that things worked in Inv2012, with an upgrade it breaks, and then Autodesk doesn't fix it in older version (on which I think they officially still give support?) even though they have a fix available.

I understand priorities, but I had an apple on my plate, Autodesk smashed it and refuses to now pick this low hanging fruit to make up for smashing the apple I already had 🙂 

I'll start thinking about workarounds for our issue, but as a minimum I would have hoped for someone from Autodesk to try and explain what happens. It seems random and intermittent, but I assume there is a pattern / trigger for it to happen. So maybe there is some information on the 2017 fix that could be usable to workaround it in 2015.

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous

I think in the other thread about this subject we're zooming in on the root cause and some workarounds. I'm testing with it, and it's looking very promising!

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-customization/layers-in-pdf-disappearing-seemingly-random-whe...

Message 19 of 24
Cris-Ideas

HI Everyone,

and especially @Jon.Dean.

Please note that this was not fixed in AI 2017.

I have just tested this and mess with layers in exported pdf is the same as it was.

Jon Dean you said this is fixed in 2017. Have you tried that when you gave this info?

Cris.

Cris,
Message 20 of 24
mcgyvr

@Cris-Ideas wrote:

HI Everyone,

and especially @Jon.Dean.

Please note that this was not fixed in AI 2017.

I have just tested this and mess with layers in exported pdf is the same as it was.

Jon Dean you said this is fixed in 2017. Have you tried that when you gave this info?

Cris.

Cris,

Can you post files that exhibit the behavior? Or a sample/test dataset that does if you can't share that specific one?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report