Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export face as single lines (not interupted at bend points)

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
644 Views, 7 Replies

Export face as single lines (not interupted at bend points)

Hello,

Is there a way to export a 'Flat pattern' to dxf-file without getting line interuptions?

The programm we use for our laser/cutter needs contiguous lines.

I know that inventor sees the lines loose because they are flattened from a bent position and are therefore not a single line. But if there is a way to close this, it would be nice.

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

Not that I am aware of.  I know the flat pattern can be exported out as a dxf file in the form of a drawing, but the bend lines can be easily removed by turning off the visibility.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Its just the point that when we do that, Inventor exports a face with separate line parts.

The laser-program sees those lines and cut them all separately which results in a longer program. 

By now we need to remove those separate lines and place a single line instead. 

If there is a way in settings or so, to make an export with single lines instead separate lines per folded plate-part,

it would be perfect.

Message 4 of 8
TheCADWhisperer

Why the double post?

Flat Pattern.PNGIf Splines OK.PNG

Message 5 of 8

Hi,

Can we also use or I will use below option..

Go to Flat Pattern then select actual models face as shown in below

right click and export face as .dxf and save the file..as.PNG

I always prefer this option for creating laser profile.

Thank you and best regards,

Dnyaneshwar Maid

Dnyaneshwar Maid
Design Engineer @MIBA,
Student Expert@Inventor

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.
Message 6 of 8
philip1009

As @TheCADWhisperer has said, select Merge Profiles into Polyline when doing Flat Pattern Export and you can choose which lines are visible or not, or open the export in Autocad and merge the lines into polyline and perform your other edits there as well.  If somehow Inventor is exporting lines with missing geometry leaving obvious gaps in the profile, then there may be some other errors that aren't apparent yet.

EDIT:  Is it possible for you to upload your part as an .ipt instead of STEP?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Because i cant remove the other one... Something thats super dumb over here 😉 This was my main topic, had that tap open. So by accident posted it in that topic..

Message 8 of 8

Hi,

I am writing on this post again for just my interest..

I tried with option "Flat pattern save as .dxf" and setting as per option which shown in TheCADWhisperer post but I do not think it is giving best result compare to "export face" as option. I am attaching here with files which I tried with both option "Flat pattern save as .dxf" and "export face" with file naming self explaining. 

With export face showing two best option that it gives radius at bend line which is desirable from deign point of view OR not!  and second option as we can select face which we want in this case 940.00 mm lengtg face or  940.50 mm It gives more benefit when part having counter hole so in that case we can select face with smaller hole.

I hope you all understand what I mean but if any doubt please let me know.

Please confirm which option is better from above for future reference

Best reagrds,

Dnyaneshwar Maid                

Dnyaneshwar Maid
Design Engineer @MIBA,
Student Expert@Inventor

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report