Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive Stress Concentrated in Welding with Different Material during Stress Analysis

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
405 Views, 1 Reply

Excessive Stress Concentrated in Welding with Different Material during Stress Analysis

I did a stress analysis to a pressure vessel loaded with a bending moment on one of its nozzle flanges. I used groove weld to connect the nozzle and the flange where the bending moment is located. The pressure vessel is made of my custom material, ASTM A516; the flange is made of Carbon Steel, and I intended the weld's material to be Carbon Steel as well. However, when the simulation result has come out, it seems that the stress is only (or mostly) located in the groove weld. I re-tried with different materials for the weld and the result was similar. Meanwhile, if I tested the weld to be made of the same material as the vessel's nozzle, ASTM A516, the stress distribution seems to be far more reasonable.

Do you have any solutions to this? Any advice would be helpful!

The constrains are:

1. "Fixed" on the bottom face of the base ring

2. "Gravity" activated

Labels (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

No assembly Attached?

Omer W. Blodgett wrote the book on weld analysis back in the 1960's maybe earlier.

>>Vince Adams on analyzing Weldments<<

>>An alternative source of information.<<

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report