Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embed Drawing view permanantly in idw file

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
darryl.menezes
394 Views, 3 Replies

Embed Drawing view permanantly in idw file

Hi,

Is there any way to embed a drawing view in an idw file? Which means, I will place a view from a part file, place dimensions and save the idw file. Later I will delete the part file, but I still want the idw to be independent and not ask for reference model. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: darryl.menezes

@darryl.menezes,

I don't think it's a common design intent in most of cases since Drawing file is always reference to 3D model files. However, two possible ways to handle:

1. Export to AutoCAD DWG to remove association

2. Create drawing sketch and project geometries from each view

Hope it helps!

Xun
Message 3 of 4

Hi Darryl,

The closest workflow is called Defer Update. You can simply open the drawing and go to Tools -> Document Settings -> Drawing -> check "Defer Update" (or right-click on the drawing node in the browser -> check "Defer Update") and save. This drawing will be in dormant state and the source part is not needed. When you uncheck "Defer Update", Inventor will prompt for the source part file.

If you want completely independent drawing without any associativity to Inventor files, you may want to export it as AutoCAD dwg file. Then create a draft view and import the dwg file back to the draft view.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4

Hi Johnson,

Thanks a lot for the information

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report