Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing extrusion

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
baliasM74U3
1302 Views, 17 Replies

Editing extrusion

Hi All

What is the rigt approach to reduce the leght of the attached model by 894 from front (as in pic) ?

I can simply extrude cut that portion, but its not the right approach it seems 

Thanks

Basil

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
MSD_takaseh
in reply to: baliasM74U3

Hello Basil,
Do you want to cut the model 894mm from front?
If so, please see the video here.
Thanks,

Hitoshi Takase
Message 3 of 18
baliasM74U3
in reply to: MSD_takaseh

Sorry mate, this is what i Knew. But I was searching for an alternate method which could be done by editing the "extrude feature". If some experts can help

Message 4 of 18
marshall

I do not quite understand the task from the attached picture.

But ff you want to adjust the length from the final model. I think the quickest way is direct edit.

Message 5 of 18
MSD_takaseh

Hi,
You can change a start plane of Extrusion in R2020. But you will need additional repair for features after extrusion in most of cases you use this option.
Thanks,

Hitoshi Takase
Message 6 of 18
baliasM74U3
in reply to: MSD_takaseh

Ireckon solidworks has got this option.

Message 7 of 18

@baliasM74U3 wrote:

Ireckon solidworks has got this option.

Can you Attach your SolidWorks *.sldprt "solution"?

The techniques used to model this geometry in Inventor was very very poorly done.

I have been using both Inventor and SolidWorks for more than 15 years.
I would model the geometry with identical techniques in both softwares.

My techniques would certainly look different than this example.

Message 8 of 18

Sorry, I don't have any Solidwork Model. What is the perfect approach to make this model? By the way, this model was done by the previous modeller in my office. I will go for Sheet Metal>Countour Flange>cut features to make this in Inventor.

Thanks

Basil

Message 9 of 18
JDMather

While I take a look at this file - I recommend that you install the latest updates for your version of 2018.

See Attached file for efficient modeling technique.

EaD.PNG

I could have simply edited the existing file - but it was rubbish.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 18
baliasM74U3
in reply to: marshall

Hi Friend

I reduced the "840" mm from side A (see image) by editing "base flange direction 1" from 1500 to 660 (1500-840). I meant some steps like this rather than extruding cutting the 840 mm-- Done in SOLIDWORKS

How can I do the same in Inventor? Please find both the parts

Thanks 

Basil

Message 11 of 18
JDMather

@baliasM74U3 wrote:

I reduced ..1500 to 660 (1500-840). ...

Nope, that is not what you did in SolidWorks.

You added 660 to 1500 = 2160

Addition.png

I think you are getting closer to true problem  description, but subtraction is not what you did in this example.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 18
marshall

Edit feature Inventor.png

Now I can understand more of what you want to ask, it's about design method in Inventor for quick changing.

You can use Edit feature to change the length like the picture.

Or if you want to become a more advanced user. I would recommend you focus on parameter design. Go to Manage/Parameters and update dimension d10 from 1000 to any number you like. You should name this parameter when you input it in the distance box e.g length=1000. So you can find it easier in the Parameters table.

Parameter design means you can control the part that you have designed using a defined parameter table. So you can update the dimension quick and easy.

Message 13 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi! I think you are looking for "Asymmetric" Extrude. Edit the Extrusion and select "Asymmetric" option (a shorter arrow with an opposite longer arrow).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 18
baliasM74U3
in reply to: marshall

Heaps of thanks for detailed explanation and suggestion about parameters. Will do that

Message 15 of 18
baliasM74U3
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Can i Do that assymetric extrusion in Sheet Metal module > countour flange ? I couldnt find one .Please help

Message 16 of 18
baliasM74U3
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, now I want to remove "500"mm from the end as shown in the image. Shall i do it by extrude cutting the "sketch 3" in the attached model ? or is their any other way i can do this in "edit features" of "Contour flange 1" ? 

Thanks

Basil

Message 17 of 18
SBix26

You've set up all the applicable parameters as, for example, "d17 - Change_Request".  To make the part 500 mm shorter from the front end, simply open your parameter table and change the User Parameter Change_Request from 894 mm to 1394 mm.

Editing Extrusion.png

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.0.1 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 18 of 18
baliasM74U3
in reply to: SBix26

Finally, this is what I was looking for. Thanks everyone.

Thanks all who were patiently teaching me and introduced me to parameters. @SBix26 @johnsonshiue @marshall @JDMather @TheCADWhisperer 

I will make sure now onwards the sketches I make will be done using parameters.

Heaps of thanks....

Would like to start learning an FEA software as well. Please suggest which I can learn like this.

Thanks

Basil

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report