Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Dimension Line Break

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
4977 Views, 8 Replies

Edit Dimension Line Break

I have seen several posts concerning adding breaks to dimension lines, such as by adding a break to the view, but my issue is slightly different.

I have a dimension in cramped quarters where the text from a leader text call out overlays the dimension line.  Inventor automatically crops (or masks) the dimension line under the text, but does not leave any gap; so the dimension line still touches the text.

I would like to edit the gap (or change settings) so that there is a small space between the cropped ends of the dimension line and the text.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! Several things can lead to the behavior. Do you mind sharing an example here so forum experts can take a look?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 9
Cadmanto

The only setting I know of is in the styles manager. 

gap.png

If you are talking about something else, could post some pics of what exactly you are talking about?

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I tried to attach a simple drawing the other day, but it didn't seem to accept my post.  Still not working.

I did see that C: gap setting in the style editor, but that setting doesn't seem to be applied to what I am referring to.

To duplicate the situation, bring any simple part into a drawing base view; snap a dimension in the vertical axis; add a leader text with any text to the part (i.e. type 'TEXT'); then drag the text location so that it sits over/on top of the dimension line.  You will be able to place the text such that the dimension lines touch the top and bottom of one of the letters in the text.

Not sure if it is me or the board that is having a problem accepting attachments; I see there is a history there.

Message 5 of 9
Cadmanto

I tried what I think you re describing shown below.  I got a break in the dimension.

DIM BREAK.png+

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 9
kelly.young

Hello @Anonymous here is an older thread that shows a similar workaround that could be useful using Sketch Symbol to mask the line.

BREAK CENTERLINE WHEN IT GOES THROUGH A DIMENSION

Inventor Trim Reference Overlapping Dimension Lines To Appear Cut

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Yes, this is what I'm talking about, and if you have the option of placing the text to where a natural spacing between the letters of the text land where the dimension line crosses, it doesn't look bad; but if a letter of text is smack on the line there is no gap and the dimension line touches.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

Hmm, this goes to a link with another link that shows more or less what the outcome should be, but I must be missing where it actually shows or explains how to achieve the "solution".  Sure you can probably make a sketch to mask over the dim line, but that seems like it will create later confusion and issues, not being the best solution.

Regardless, I reworked my drawing to avoid the problem, so for the moment this is now just a thoughtful exercise.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 9
kelly.young

@Anonymous yeah there are a few different links in those posts.

Here is a short screencast showing how to use Define Sketch Symbol to clip the line and stick to the Leader.

Please select the Accept Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report