Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driven length is wrong

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jeffreyQ4RGW
338 Views, 6 Replies

Driven length is wrong

Hello,

The driven length of a part is wrong after applying a trim to this part in a frame.

I noticed that the start plane is below the trimmed plane.

Is there a solution for this? I added the part as an attachment.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rob.batog
in reply to: jeffreyQ4RGW

Hello,

Remove the "Split" feature from the model tree if you can't remove the trim/extend treatment.

Message 3 of 7
jeffreyQ4RGW
in reply to: rob.batog

I understand that if I have no trim there wouldn't be an issue, but I need the trim treatment to be there, why doesn't it automatically update the driven length?
Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi Jeffrey,

The driven length is the minimum length required to have the end treatment. It is not the total length after the end treatment is applied.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
jeffreyQ4RGW

Thank you for your reply, that makes some sense. However my parts list seems to use the Driven Length (or G_L in the parameters) as the value for the length (Base/ unit qty) of the part. Is there a fix/ work around for that?

Message 6 of 7
jan_priban

Hi Jeffrey,

Frame Generator always defines Start Plane and End Plane, based on end treatment features like Notch, Trim/Extend and creates frame's body as extrusion between Start Plane and End Plane. The distance between Start Plane and End Plane is value of the parameter G_L. Parts List uses value of G_L as Parts List / BOM quantity. So far so good. The question that I do not understand is why your frame / extrusion does not start from Start Plane (There is 20 mm distance between Start Plane and frame front face).  Could you share image of your frame (frame you enclosed here) in context of frame assembly. I would like to see, how your frame is trimmed-extended by neighbor frame. Or if frame assembly is not so big, could you enclosed frame assembly? No workaround is coming into mind so far.

Regards

Jan Priban

Message 7 of 7
jeffreyQ4RGW
in reply to: jan_priban

Hello Jan,

Thank you for your reply.

I added a screenshot, highlighted are the start plane of the tube and the trimmed plane.

The tube is from a line on the orange/brown block, i highlighted  the line it's placed on in the other screenshot.

I think the assembly would be to big to share, it's a chassis for something that's very similar to a trailer for context.

The HEM 160 which lays on top used to be a HEM140, is there any chance that's giving this issue? Top of steel didn't change, so the 200x200x10 tube got shorter after that change.

While typing that, I tried to delete the trim and place it again and now I have the correct value for the length and the start plane is as it should be, while it's counterpart on the other side still has this issue since I haven't manually deleted and replaced the trim yet.

Inventor initially put the trim face on the new (HEM160) profile, it would recognize the planes because they were from the same frame member family I assumed, but apparently that doesn't update the parts (in this case the 200x200x10 tube) surrounding it correctly?

Is there something I can do about this in the future? Because manually replacing every trim seems excessive and waiting for mistakes to happen since you can't actually see the error before you open the part and check both the start and end plane.

Best regards,

Jeffrey

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report