Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Vertical Or Horizontal Lines In Sketch Block After Rotating Sketch Block Does Not Work

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Matthew_Policelli
270 Views, 3 Replies

Drawing Vertical Or Horizontal Lines In Sketch Block After Rotating Sketch Block Does Not Work

Inventor Version: 2022 Build 350 Release 2022.3

I was working in a sketch block that I rotated 90 degrees (it was the only one in model), and found that if I try to place a horizontal line, it turns vertical after placement! This makes it really user-unfriendly to edit sketch blocks after rotation. Shouldn't the horizontal and vertical in a sketch block re-define after being rotated? Or at least shouldn't it assign the correct orientation (horizontal/vertical) to the line before placement so that what you see is what you get?

I've attached a .avi video showing the process.

Labels (1)
  • bug
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi! I think I have seen this behavior before. As I explained on the other thread, this has something to do with the default sketch coordinate determined by Inventor. When a sketch block edited, the sketch coordinate is based on the sketch that creates the block originally.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4

Is there a way to set or reset the sketch block coordinates? At the very least, would it work to explode the block and recreate it?

Also, this makes sense, but it would be nice if when drawing a line in the sketch it followed the sketch block coordinates instead of the current sketch coordinates (so once I placed a line it stayed where I created it instead of snapping 90 degrees away).

Message 4 of 4

Hi Matthew,

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to reset the sketch block coordinate unless the sketch used to define the sketch block still exists. Certainly explode an redefine should work.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report