Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension between views?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
2843 Views, 9 Replies

Dimension between views?

Is there a way to dimension between views on an .IDW?

We need the ability to dimension across different base views and due to modeling restrictions we can not combine the two .IAM’s and create one base view.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

This had been possible in older releases, but I guess this had been rather a bug than a feature. -- mfg, --- Leo Laimer Bad Ischl - Austria
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Hello, We would like to know exactly what your workflow is so that such a dimension would actually have meaningful data in it. If I have 2 views on the sheet, what value do you expect to have displayed for a dimension between the two views? The "dimension" has no model value to display. A little more explanation on how you would use such capability would help us greatly here. Steve Dennis Autodesk Inventor Drawing Manager "nirekire" wrote in message news:8330099.1102599197425.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Is there a way to dimension between views on an .IDW? > > We need the ability to dimension across different base views and due to modeling restrictions we can not combine the two .IAM's and create one base view.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Steve, I run across the need to dimension between views all the time. Although, it may not be according to the ASME standards, I find it very helpful in clarifying what I want dimensioned. One instance that comes to mind is dimensioning between a main view and an auxillary view. If there is a hole in the auxillary view and I want to locate it from a tangent rounded edge, it would communicate much easier, if I could dimension the tangency from the main view and the hole from the aux view. This is just one of those instances where Autocad users coming over to Inventor get frustrated, and say "Why can't I do this?" I highly encourage the IV team to make little things like this a higher priority if they want to wean them over. If we could project geometry from different views into the same sketch, it would help. -- Aaron R. Friedman ARF Designs Steve Dennis (Autodesk, Inc) wrote: > Hello, > > We would like to know exactly what your workflow is so that such a > dimension would actually have meaningful data in it. > > If I have 2 views on the sheet, what value do you expect to have displayed > for a dimension between the two views? The "dimension" has no model value to > display. > > A little more explanation on how you would use such capability would help us > greatly here. > > Steve Dennis > Autodesk Inventor Drawing Manager > > "nirekire" wrote in message > news:8330099.1102599197425.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > >>Is there a way to dimension between views on an .IDW? >> >>We need the ability to dimension across different base views and due to > > modeling restrictions we can not combine the two .IAM's and create one base > view. > >
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

If I could lock 2 views to eachother like as in MDT, i.e. have more control over the alignment of views - especially overlayed views, then this would be very beneficial. One use would be when you are overlaying 2 posrep views. Example would be to dimension the overall stroking distance of a cylinder between 2 views, or in the case of a pivoting cylinder, the angle of sweep. "Steve Dennis (Autodesk, Inc)" wrote in message news:41b9c34d$1_3@newsprd01... > Hello, > > We would like to know exactly what your workflow is so that such a > dimension would actually have meaningful data in it. > > If I have 2 views on the sheet, what value do you expect to have displayed > for a dimension between the two views? The "dimension" has no model value to > display. > > A little more explanation on how you would use such capability would help us > greatly here. > > Steve Dennis > Autodesk Inventor Drawing Manager > > "nirekire" wrote in message > news:8330099.1102599197425.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Is there a way to dimension between views on an .IDW? > > > > We need the ability to dimension across different base views and due to > modeling restrictions we can not combine the two .IAM's and create one base > view. > >
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

It seems to me that you are asking for something as shown in my attachment. This can be done (as of IV8) with projected views by placing the dimension to any two features in one view, and then moving one of the dimension endpoints to the other view. It's similar with auxiliary views, but you may need to sketch in a line parallel to the dimension extension line to dimension to, and then turn that line to 'sketch only' after dimensioning.

What the original post was apparently asking for was to dimension between base views of two unrelated assemblies.
This can be done in a fashion similar to projected views, but there's no easy way to get the views aligned.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

John and "pcunningham1" hit the nail on the head!
That is exactly what I'm attempting to accomplish!
Overlay/align two views to one another.

I have a piece of equipment that needs to be located in a building and how do I line up the two separate base views with each other?

I started off by using the dimension example so I could use that to constrain the views to one another and then go from there, but could find no way to do so.

Thanks to all for helping me clarify.

Message was edited by: nirekire
Message was edited by: nirekire
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Hi, This is not currently supported. We are working on improvements in this area for an upcoming release. Regards, -- Chuck Savatsky Inventor Drawing Manager Software Development Manager Chuck.Savatsky@Autodesk.com "John-IV8SP1" wrote in message news:41b9d6dd_3@newsprd01... > If I could lock 2 views to eachother like as in MDT, i.e. have more control > over the alignment of views - especially overlayed views, then this would be > very beneficial. > > One use would be when you are overlaying 2 posrep views. Example would be to > dimension the overall stroking distance of a cylinder between 2 views, or in > the case of a pivoting cylinder, the angle of sweep. > > > "Steve Dennis (Autodesk, Inc)" wrote in message > news:41b9c34d$1_3@newsprd01... > > Hello, > > > > We would like to know exactly what your workflow is so that such a > > dimension would actually have meaningful data in it. > > > > If I have 2 views on the sheet, what value do you expect to have displayed > > for a dimension between the two views? The "dimension" has no model value > to > > display. > > > > A little more explanation on how you would use such capability would help > us > > greatly here. > > > > Steve Dennis > > Autodesk Inventor Drawing Manager > > > > "nirekire" wrote in message > > news:8330099.1102599197425.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > Is there a way to dimension between views on an .IDW? > > > > > > We need the ability to dimension across different base views and due to > > modeling restrictions we can not combine the two .IAM's and create one > base > > view. > > > > > >
Message 9 of 10
john3NHRC

Has this been addressed at all? Version 2024?

Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi John,

There is no such workflow in Inventor. Two views are distinct view ports. The dimension between them isn't meaningful. I suspect you are looking for workflows that are available in AutoCAD. Maybe you want to try using AutoCAD to create associative drawing views to Inventor components (VIEWBASE command). Then you may leverage all the drafting workflows in AutoCAD to annotate the drawing views.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report