Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different between ISO and ANSI

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
steenH797P
14816 Views, 9 Replies

Different between ISO and ANSI

Use Inventor 2016 for models to 3D printer

That is the different of using ISO or ANSI  ?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: steenH797P

I am not sure you should see any difference in relation to 3D printing - I thought these standards related to 2D documentation.

I think that for 3D printing the Units are the parameter that you should be aware of.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
mcgyvr

ISO or ANSI does not matter..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 10
kelly.young

Hello @steenH797P here is a thorough article explaining the two:

What is the difference between ANSI and ISO?

As for your 3D printer, I think you might be wondering why it comes out a different size?

It just depends on the unit options you set the model to, mm or inch

See these posts:

Inventor 2016 units ( mm) don't does not match my 3D printer

3D Printing/ standard vs metric system

Hope that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 5 of 10
steenH797P

Thanks for the help
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

so what is the difference between ANSI Unified screw threads vs iso metric profile? When someone ask me usually say not a thing.  Its a common question.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

oops I should be more clear, the difference between ANSI METRIC M PROFILE VS ISO METRIC PROFILE is what I should have said.

Message 8 of 10
kelly.young

Hello @Anonymous there are many different standards and they all vary depending on geography, use, environment, material, etc. Some good information and links:

Metric Threads

Differences Between ASME Y14.5-2009 and ISO 1101

I don't think there is a size difference it is just how it is notated? Are you talking about the settings within the annotation type? 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 9 of 10
SBix26

A copy of Machinery's Handbook (within the last 25 years or so) would have those standard thread profiles detailed for comparison, as well as many other reference books, and web sites.

The ASME standard is B1.13M, and is available for $72(!) from ASME.  But the information is readily available on line, too.

The basic 60° profiles are the same, but of course the nominal sizes, pitches and minor diameters are different.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.0.0 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Good idea, I don't think there is a difference at all. A m3 is a m3. Just ansi vs iso is different documents.
Thanks for the help sir!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report