Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Inventor 2014 and 2017?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
815 Views, 7 Replies

Difference between Inventor 2014 and 2017?

Hi there, I am about to compete in Skills B.C. this week for Mechanical CADD and the year of Inventor that will be supplied for the competition is 2014. I just want to make sure there aren't any major differences, or unavailable options between Inventor 2017 (what I learned on) and 2014 that I should know about; particularly when it comes to creating Presentation documents? Unfortunately, it seems to be no longer available for downloading as far as an educational licence goes. 

Thanks A.A.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
EvanGu
in reply to: Anonymous

Mostly, the differences don't impact modeling greatly, here's the What's New for recent releases that you can check. And You talked about Presentation that did change a lot from Inventor 2017. The way of creation, user interface and commands are quite different from 2014.

Evan Gu
Inventor/Fusion QA Engineer
Message 3 of 8
SBix26

The Presentation environment was completely overhauled for Inventor 2017, so if you can find a copy of Inventor 2016, you will be able to prepare to use 2014 in the competition.

Why on earth are they using a five year-old version in a competition??  I would guess that most competitors have never used it, and certainly shouldn't be using it now.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.0.0 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Despite being a Provincial competition (at least in Mechanical CADD) they dont seem to have their ducks in a row! I will definatly try to find 2016.
Thank you very much A.A.
Message 5 of 8
jtylerbc
in reply to: SBix26

@SBix26 wrote:

Why on earth are they using a five year-old version in a competition??  I would guess that most competitors have never used it, and certainly shouldn't be using it now.

Sam B
LinkedIn

Perhaps "B.C." was actually meant as a date, rather than a location Smiley Wink.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: jtylerbc

@jtylerbcwrote:

@SBix26wrote:

Sam B
LinkedIn

Perhaps "B.C." was actually meant as a date, rather than a location Smiley Wink.

No kidding! Explains the educational system, fish/wildlife management, LNG developement and why the NDP got in ;);) Thanks to you my province is finally starting to make sense now! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
jtylerbc

Haha.  Could be.  I suppose I shouldn't joke too much about people being behind on versions though, as I'm just now in the process of upgrading my company to 2018. . .

Anyway, as the others already mentioned, there aren't many changes to basic modeling.  If you're using advanced methods like multisolids and Frame Generator there are definitely some things that would be missing.  Also, you would have the old view creation dialog box in the drawing environment, but that shouldn't be too hard to adjust to. 

If you are going to need to create Presentations, I agree that's probably where you should focus your preparation.  It was a pretty significant redesign.  Everything else you can probably get through without too much trouble.

Message 8 of 8
dgorsman

@Anonymous wrote:

No kidding! Explains the educational system, fish/wildlife management, LNG developement and why the NDP got in ;);) Thanks to you my province is finally starting to make sense now! Smiley Happy

Depends where you are in the province - anywhere north of the Lower Mainland/Okanagan, the institutions are going to be a little behind the times.  Not a whole lot of budget money floating around up there for the schools to stay current on technology.  Even though the licenses are free to use, there's still costs for generic IT support and hardware updates.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report