Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diameter symbol Ø

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
matz_anderssonW3LBY
364 Views, 5 Replies

Diameter symbol Ø

How is it that the diameter symbol is different if it is placed automatically by Inventor when I create a dimension versus when I click on the diameter symbol myself? Are different Ascii codes used?

matz_anderssonW3LBY_0-1687421220025.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

I agree, this is strange. I've been digging through the styles now for a little while and it's Arial everywhere, but when the system generated symbol (seen in the box below) in the Styles editor is copied to Notepad or the forum textarea, all you end up is "n". 

The manual input symbol is actually a standard alphabet character, Ø, as seen in Danish or Norweigan. The proper diameter symbol isn't used at all...

EdvinTailwind_4-1687426132497.png

https://unicodelookup.com/#n%C3%98%E2%8C%80/1

EdvinTailwind_3-1687425323885.png

Side by side:

EdvinTailwind_2-1687425269447.png

Message 3 of 6

@matz_anderssonW3LBY @EdvinTailwind 

Hey there.  I did some asking around internally, and the explanation that I got was that the symbols in Dimensions will be based on your Dimension Style and the Note Text(ANSI) style... symbols from the symbol chooser menu use AIGDT font.  To get a consistent look between your dimension style and the symbol style, I was told to use the Diameter symbol from the symbol menu... but NOT the top one.  Choose the one shown below.  I've done some testing using the base Tahoma font for my dimension, and added this symbol to a diameter dimension.  They look the same (second image).  Give this a try.  🙂

CGBenner_0-1687438027810.pngCGBenner_1-1687438158839.png

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 4 of 6
CCarreiras
in reply to: CGBenner

Hi!

If is not consistent, why not remove it?!
It's redundant anyway....

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: CCarreiras

The three symbols at the top of the chooser, highlighted in dark gray, are selections from the current editor font.  The other symbols are from the AIGDT font.  Inventor dimensions use the AIGDT font, which has the slashed O in the same character position (ASCII hex code 6E) as lower case n in normal writing fonts.  The slashed O in normal writing fonts is at hex code D8.

The degree symbol (°) and ± symbol are the same codes in AIGDT as in normal writing fonts.

I have no idea how or for what application the AIGDT font was developed, but it can be pretty tedious to work with.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2024.0.1 | Windows 10 Home 22H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 6 of 6

Hi! If I recalled correctly, this has something to do with supporting multiple drafting standards and working with AutoCAD Mechanical. AIGDT is the font shared by multiple Autodesk products. It does seem redundant. I guess it is like you pick the one you like and stick with it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report