Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Assistant Renaming Created Cycle

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
sdambrosia79YTM
216 Views, 3 Replies

Design Assistant Renaming Created Cycle

I should have posted this before I went further than I did.

But, I can be stubborn and foolish. Perhaps all here can learn from my folly.

I've spent a good deal of time building a multi-body part for fabrication. 

As this is my first go through the process I wasn't too careful about naming parts before I made components into a separate assembly. All is well and good until I need to produce a BOM for production.

No sweat, a little research led me to the design assistant for renaming parts.

I made a critical error in this process. 

I renamed my foundational multibody part in the Design Assistant dialogue window. 

I thought, surely this out of the box designed feature would not let me do this if I were about to cause a serious issue; SURELY, it will throw a warning my way. SURELY.

No, it did not protect me from my own foolhardiness.

So, now when I open the renamed multi-body part. IT throws an error, as if IT is looking for the original file name it once had. It acts as though it is an assembly part with a missing link. But, it is just looking for a name it once had. I can no longer make components from this rather large multi-body part. Because, it cannot find itself to do so?

Does this make any sense to any of you brilliant and less foolhardy professionals?

If there is a way to heal this ipart, from it's apparent identity crisis, my appreciation would be akin to Pinocchio's father getting his second chance at fatherhood. 

Labels (4)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: sdambrosia79YTM

Can you share the file here?  If it isn't something that you've overlooked, it must be some kind of corruption-- changing the name of a part file should not result in a file resolution problem for that file!  What version of Inventor (and Design Assistant) are you using?

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2025.0.1 | Windows 11 Home 23H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 3 of 4

Hi! It is Ok to rename files. If somehow the files cannot be resolved automatically by Inventor, you will be prompted to find the source file. Based on your description, there seems to be something else at play. Please share the files here or send them in zip to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4

Hello Sam B and J. Shiue. 

Thanks for the replies.

Over the weekend and after a little rest, I had an insight into the issue.

In fact you are both correct.

My initial concern was misplaced.

The problem was that I had linked parameters from a deleted file and forgot all about them.

I deleted the link and like magic the file is back to full health.

Thanks again for your input.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report